Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mississippi bow season sucks! >

Mississippi bow season sucks!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mississippi bow season sucks!

Old 10-31-2003, 07:38 PM

Default Mississippi bow season sucks!

I have some prime land in northern Mississippi that I have been bow hunting. What sucks is that bow season ends on November 21st. Just in time for the rut. I would love to sit in my stand early December when the rut takes off. Since I started bowhunting 4 years ago, I have absolutely no desire to gun hunt, not even muzzleloading. I just live to bowhunt whitetails!! I wish mississippi would let bowhunters hunt the rut. Going to have to buy me some land in Tennessee, you can bowhunt the rut Tennessee right with gun season.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:44 PM

Default RE: Mississippi bow season sucks!

that is one thing tennessee has to offer but what hurts us in tenn is that we can kill several bucks a lot of people shoot small bucks but we can bowhunt all thru deer season.

go deep hunt hard.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-31-2003, 07:56 PM

Looking at my Mississippi non resident license, I can shoot a total of 7 deer, that is unreal! 3 bucks (4point or better) and 4 does. That is 7 fricking deer per person! I like vension in my freezer but 7 deer, there is no way I can eat that much deer unless I was Ted Nugent. What really bothers me is that you don' t even have to tag the deer, just take it to the processor and no questions asked. Now you are suppose to call a 800 number and report your harvest. Now how many people are really going to do that. I know I will but they definately need to go to a tag system. Now Tennessee has a Tag system and it work pretty well. just wish more hunters would put the guns down and pick up the bow. I think their hunts would be more memorable and we would have more trophy deer down here!
Old 10-31-2003, 08:25 PM

I' ve sent the Dept. of Wildlife an email to confirm, but I think you can bowhunt during gun season. I live in Mississippi but hunt in Arkansas, I' ll let you know what they say.

I found this on the web, not an official department but it confirms what I thought:

WHITETAIL DEER
Season: - Deer season in Mississippi opens with archery season which lasts from the first of October until the end of January. Primitive weapon and conventional gun seasons begin in mid Movember and runs throgh the middle of January.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:08 PM

Here in Alabama you can shoot two deer a day with your bow. only one of which can be an antlered buck.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:43 AM

in north carolina you just slap on orange and hunt during gun season. just have to sit out muzzleloader
Old 11-01-2003, 09:11 AM

better check your digest on the restrictions on non-residents being allowed to kill does in ms.i think you must own land or lease in your name to take a doe.stand to be corrected.btw,you can hunt with a bow from oct 1 through jan 31 .
Old 11-01-2003, 01:04 PM

Actually you can kill 3 bucks and 3 does with an additional 2 does for archery only.Yes you can bowhunt anytime but must were orange during gun season.You cannot kill antlerless deer on PUBLIC land.Only on land you own or lease for hunting.

CB