Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What' s the most economical climber out there? New BowHunter to the Ranks! >

What' s the most economical climber out there? New BowHunter to the Ranks!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What' s the most economical climber out there? New BowHunter to the Ranks!

Old 10-31-2003, 09:22 AM
Spike

Default RE: What' s the most economical climber out there? New BowHunter to the Ranks!

If your life isnt worth much then head to Wal-Mart, they have a few for <$100
Does this mean that your life is only worth between $200 - $300 if you buy a Summit? If they made a $10,000 stand and you value your life, does that mean that you would have to buy it?

I think you could get a lot of well-made stands for around $100. Heck, I' ve hunted out of a CheapSeat most of the time for the last several years, but I still look both ways before crossing the street! I think once you get beyond the $100 most of what you' re paying for is comfort and ease of setup. There' s too much liability for someone to produce and sell an unsafe stand. I bought my Summit mostly because I needed a comfortable stand I could sit in all day if I needed to.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:36 AM

Default RE: What' s the most economical climber out there? New BowHunter to the Ranks!

found a River' s Edge Gator archer climber @ Dick' s sporting goods for $150 seriously considering getting it, anyone else ever use this stand?
Old 10-31-2003, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly man... go mow some lawns or something for an extra hundred. Then you will have 200 and you can get a Summit Cobra XLS. You will be glad you did. The comfort you will have for years to come, will be worth the sweat equity now.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

at 17 pounds it will be easier to carry than that 30 pounder you are looking at!
Old 11-01-2003, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don' t skimp on a climbing stand! save your dollers and buy a quality stand that will provide you with years of comfortable, stable quiet preformance. My personal favorites are the Summit line of stands. Your going to spend around 200 dollers depending on which model you choose, but you will not be dissopointed. They are pretty lite in weight, super stable, quiet, user friendly, and by far the most comfortable stands I have used, and that are still practical. A tree lounge may be more comfortable, a Lone wolf may be more portable, but Summit combines everything a hunter needs into one package. Besides you get a free full body harness with every stand, instruction video or DVD and some of the best customer support in the industry.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:40 AM

Thanks for all the input and advice..... settled on a summit viper... the cable lock is what sold me finally...i want something easy to setup in the dark. Thanks again for all the help. now to test er out
Old 11-01-2003, 11:52 AM

Just last month, I found a Summit Viper Classic on sale at Gander Mountain for $150 ($170 regular). It was less expensive than the Viper XLS ($230) because the Classic is steel construction & the XLS is aluminium. The Classic is 8 lbs. more; however, I am large & incharge and prefer the added stability and noise reduction.

If no GM in area, contact Summit directly. They only made a few hundred Classic stands so far and they may be a little more difficult to find.

Good Luck! [8D]
Old 11-01-2003, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with most here about getting something a little more expensive. So you settled on the Viper. Which one? The Classic or the XLS? It doesn' t really matter except that Ill make one point. Use that harness religiously. It' s the cheapest life insurance that you get and live to collect from if the need ever arises.
I recently got an XLS and it is by far the best stand I' ve had in over 30 years. I' ve got 7 stands right now with over $1000 invested in them. The XLS is not perfect. None are. It just happens to be the quietest, most stable, and most comfortable of the lot. And when you figure in the cost of the safety harness (SOP) the stand is priced even better than a lot of others.
Old 11-01-2003, 03:00 PM

got the classic, Dick' s had it for $140, watched the vid,read the book and then took it outside to try it out. easy to setup and a breeze to climb and come down, think i' m gonna like it alot, it' s comfortable enough to stay in all day...( it' s better than my cheap chair at work and yes the harness was a plus too! used it even on my 5 foot ascent in the backyard.
Thanks for all the help! now to get a little better with the bow