Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 question about strange texas regulations >

question about strange texas regulations

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

question about strange texas regulations

Old 10-30-2003, 04:09 PM

Default question about strange texas regulations

well the bow season is over in texas now, and " general season" aka rifle season i guess is starting this weekend. in the counties i hunt though, the start of the rifle season also marks the start of buck only season. you' re not allowed to shoot antlerless deer unless u have a management tag. why is this? shouldnt it be the other way around?
its really dissapointing because this is my second year of deer hunting and i havnt shot anything yet, and i didnt see any deer at all during bow season, as i only got to hunt one weekend, and in two weeks i have a week long trip planned, but i wont be able to shoot does...
Old 10-30-2003, 04:13 PM

Default RE: question about strange texas regulations

Its too late now, but i would recommend talking to TPWD to get the MLD tags next year. They are really easy to get, you just let them know you want the doe tags, they come out and survey your land, and then you get however many they think you need. I do agree that they need to allow SOME does to be killed without permits; where i hunt in east texas, people often see herds of 20 and 25 does come by at once, while anything that looks like it could be a buck is shot as soon as it walks out. If you are hunting public land, a lot of the areas offer doe permits for the general season, you just have to apply by a deadline (Oct. 1 i think this year). I say give it a shot next year, but I understand what you are saying
Old 10-30-2003, 04:16 PM

yeah its corp of engineer land around texoma and lake whitney... the does definately outnumber the bucks immensely. ill look into the permits for next season though, and hopefully ill be able to get out more during bow season.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go mixing the Corps of Engineers into the mix and things can get REALLY stupid. Make sure you get a copy of THEIR regulations as well. Both places! Seems like different offices have different regs, and even if the same office oversees a couple of lakes, things can be different on one lake than the other.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

What part of Whitney do you hunt as it covers 2 counties Hill and Bosque.

You can hunt doe' s in Bosque all season.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:27 PM

on whitney i hunt in hill county. next season ill be scouting more in other areas, possibly in bosque