Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Synthetic doe pee >

Synthetic doe pee

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Synthetic doe pee

Old 09-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Spike

Default Synthetic doe pee

Anyone out there living in a state that outlawed real deer scents and has had success with synthetics? Virginia did it in 2015 and it reads as follows:
"Effective July 1, 2015, it will be illegal to possess or use deer scents/lures that contain natural deer urine or other bodily fluids while taking, attempting to take, attracting, or scouting wildlife in Virginia." Since I've used scents forever (up until they became illegal) I decided to try a few of the synthetics and none of them smelled even remotely like what doe or buck pee smells like. I can't recall the brands as I sit here and type this, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a synthetic that they think is worth the money? The ones I've tried had a "perfumey" smell that was just...weird. It's supposed to stink, after all! I welcome your thoughts!
Old 09-18-2017, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry I haven't had much luck with deer scents.

Is there any reason why they came up with this law? I know several folks that will empty the bladder of a doe and use the urine or cut the tarsal glands off and use them. Guess I really don't understand a reason on how not using them will help the herd.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Sorry I haven't had much luck with deer scents.

Is there any reason why they came up with this law? I know several folks that will empty the bladder of a doe and use the urine or cut the tarsal glands off and use them. Guess I really don't understand a reason on how not using them will help the herd.
The thinking is that CWD is spread through feces, saliva or urine so the concern is that the real stuff could contribute to the spread of CWD. It's a theory, but there are a few states, like Va, that aren't taking any chances.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Never heard of that theory before. Think I would be more concerned with the synthetic stuff and what problems it could cause before I would be about the real 100% stuff. The 100% stuff sold on the market come from tested animals anyway and if someone was to do like I mentioned and use urine from the animal they harvested then it would have been in the environment already.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

https://thewindpros.com/
Old 09-20-2017, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.outdoornews.com/2016/02/1...of-deer-urine/
Old 09-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Spike

4 SE Minnesota counties just banned a ton of stuff including natural scents used for deer hunting. The usual pees and gland scents are out. The salts and minerals are out. Blocks are out. All because of CWD. Honestly, I think this will be the wave of the future everywhere. In Minnesota it is strictly against the law to bring in any portion of a big game animal from another state unless the animal has been quartered to contain no portion of the head or spinal column and or boned out. Packaged and frozen meat is excluded as long as the packages have registered locker numbers on each from outside the state. Antlers are allowed only on cleaned skull caps, no heads are allowed.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:18 AM
Fork Horn

In parts of WV baiting of any kind is illegal supposedly due to CWD outbreak in those areas. If that is true, good. However, large hunt clubs and sportsmen groups are opposed to baiting and have the ear of the WV Legislature. They eventually will get their wish statewide. But for sure these clubs and rich hunters from the orgs. will go right on with their food plots which also congregates deer. This form of "baiting" can also lead to exposure to CWD. I know the arguments but it seems hypocritical to my way of thinking. Just thinking...why hasn't Texas, which allows baiting, had a huge breakout of CWD?
Old 09-22-2017, 05:29 AM
Typical Buck

If a person uses synthetic scents will he attract synthetic deer ?
Old 09-24-2017, 05:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by ctom
4 SE Minnesota counties just banned a ton of stuff including natural scents used for deer hunting. The usual pees and gland scents are out. The salts and minerals are out. Blocks are out. All because of CWD. Honestly, I think this will be the wave of the future everywhere. In Minnesota it is strictly against the law to bring in any portion of a big game animal from another state unless the animal has been quartered to contain no portion of the head or spinal column and or boned out. Packaged and frozen meat is excluded as long as the packages have registered locker numbers on each from outside the state. Antlers are allowed only on cleaned skull caps, no heads are allowed.
I agree...the states that have gone this way are just the beginning. I think it is the wave of the future. CWD is scary and at present unstoppable. In fact the prions that cause the disease can survive in soil for years. So, synthetics are here to stay and I'm betting this is not a good time to get into the natural deer urine/gland product business!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.