Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My private farm to hunt (pic!!) >

My private farm to hunt (pic!!)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My private farm to hunt (pic!!)

Old 10-28-2003, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default My private farm to hunt (pic!!)

Hey there....

Let' s hope this works. I used a site that shows aerial photos of any address and location, so a while back, I entered in the address to the farm I have permission to hunt on. This is in northern Virginia near Warrenton. It' s a slender strip of farmland with woods in the far back of it. I have permission to get all the " pesky resident Canadian Geese" that I legally can, and also can hunt deer and turkey in the woods in back.

The pond belonging to the adjacent farm (bottom of photo) leads into a small stream, which runs through the woods. The square block near the woods is some weird kind of Virginia Power utility thing. It' s not transformers or generators, but it' s something that they use. Whatever... To the right (East) of the photo is the adjacent farm owner, who I heard is somewhat of an ANTI [:@] and if I shoot a deer and it runs over to his farm, " there will be hell to pay" (yeah, right...)

It' s a great piece of land to hunt with endless possibilities! [8D] By looking at the photo, where would you concentrate first? I like the area just south near the VA Power utility thing, that overlooks the stream. There is a big fallen oak tree surrounded by other oaks too. But if the wind isn' t right, I' ll get busted. [:' (] The countless geese in the other fields are stupid. They don' t care and just sit there looking for breadcrumbs. Waltz into the field, 2 geese per day limit..... BLAM BLAM.... Done! [:-]

What do you think of this farm as a deer/turkey/goose hunting area?

Butch
Old 10-28-2003, 02:26 PM

Default RE: My private farm to hunt (pic!!)

Is the land completely flat or are there some hills, draws, or ridges on the farm?
Looks as though you' ve got plenty of prime land to hunt. Give us a little more detail.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

How did you come across that photo?

Looks like a great place to hunt!
Old 10-28-2003, 02:33 PM

Looks great. I' d be curious what is currently planted in all those fields or which ones are pastures.

I love hunting next to small steams and have had good succcess. Set up a stand 25 yards upwind of a stream crossing and you should see some deer.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: adams

Is the land completely flat or are there some hills, draws, or ridges on the farm?
The goose fields are flat. The Deer bedding area slowly leads downhill. The stream is just a hair south of the VA Power utility thing. The rest of the woods are hilly and mostly lead uphill.

Butch
Old 10-28-2003, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: loanstarhunter

How did you come across that photo?

Looks like a great place to hunt!
I just used Mapquest.... http://www.mapquest.com

I entered in the exact street address for the property, and it showed me a sketch of it, with a button on the top called " Aerial Photo" . I clicked into that and SHAZAMM! It pulled up a detailed photo with zoom capability too! [8D]

Butch
Old 10-28-2003, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get no aerial photo option...
Old 10-28-2003, 04:32 PM

Butch, if you say that the deer are bedding in what is a field? then it is going to be hard to hunt them because they aren' t going to have to do much to find food. if i were you i would concentrate on the oaks you said you found. when the acorns are all gone i would look for travel corridors into the big pines. when it gets colder the deer will hold up in them. find them and nail them.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:59 PM

I' m by no means as smart as some/ most of the bow hunters on this board, but i can tell you the the mast crop of acorns wil drive the deer in. i can also tell you that setting up near the stream would be a good idea because they need to drink right??? but then again i' ve only been bowhunting for 2 years now and haven' t gotten anything.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:38 PM

no aerial photo option for me either

Quick Reply: My private farm to hunt (pic!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.