Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A deep question

Old 10-28-2003, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default A deep question

As an expirienced hunter of of some 26 or so years and taking well over 25 bucks, I have a question for other seasoned veterans. Have you ever expirienced a time when the hunt is more of a thrill than the shot. I mean I love the time in the woods, I still can watch and be entertained as the squirrels and chipmunks fill my time as I wait fo the next doe or buck to wander through and get my heart pounding. But recently I had a nice little 8 point come right in as one would hope. While I got excited and my heart was racing, I still pondered whether or not I wanted to shoot. Bascically I let him pass without even drawing on him. Now I am questioning why? Is it the fact that I have taken much larger bucks and set a personal best last year with a true trophy that hangs on my wall? I' m sure if it was a trophy I would have shot right? hmmm? I look forward to each and every hunt and get out as often as possible. I am at that point where every hunt is succesful to me. Crap please don' t tell me I' m maturing..YIKES. I still walk by my mounted deer from last season with amazement..Maybe it all changed when I actually tagged a buck that rivals most other trophies one sees on TV or at shows or whatever. Maybe I am destined to be a trophy hunter from this point on..but what do I do with this doe tag?? Comments..?
Old 10-28-2003, 01:36 PM

Default RE: A deep question

I SAY YOU SHOULD DO WHAT YOUR HEART TELLS YOU. SUCCESS LIES IN THE EYES OF THE BEHOLDER. IF SEEING A BUCK OR A DOE OR SOMETHING OFF THE WALL IN THE WOODS IS A THRILL AS IT IS FOR ME, THEN WHY DO YOU NEED TO SHOOT ANYTHING. BOWHUNTING FOR ME IS NOT AS MUCH ABOUT KILLING A TROPHY ANIMAL AS IS THE THRILL OF THE THINGS YOU SEE. JUST THIS SATURDAY I WITNESSED FOR THE FIRST TIME A 2-1/2 YEAR OLD BUCK SNORT WHEEZE. HE WAS AT 10 YARDS AND I HAD RATTLED HIM IN AND HE WAS PI$$ED OFF. HE WASN' T QUITE BIG ENOUGH TO SHOOT, BUT JUST SEEING THAT MADE MY SEASON. JUST MY THOUGHTS.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:43 PM

I' ve only taken two bucks ever, both with my bow and both on the wall. As far as size they are medium, both around 90-110 scoring wise. Anyway, I have a short term goal of only taking bucks bigger than my last one. I realize that once I take a huge one I' ll be at a point were waiting for one that big might not happen. That is my personal level of expectation.

Here is an interesting read I found on the web:
http://mainehuntingtoday.com/phpweb/index.php?module=article&view=88
It says there are five stages of hunting and that as we mature we reach the next stage.

Old 10-28-2003, 02:22 PM

Solax,
That was a very interesting article. I can definately relate. If I were to dx Badatta2d I' d have to classify him as a Sportsman. That right! I' m sorry to say Badatta2d that you are now offically a SPORTSMAN. Now get out there and enjoy those hunts. If you are finding enjoyment in just getting out then bless you. It will be damn tought to have a bad day.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:15 PM

but what do I do with this doe tag??
shoot doe and give me the meat
Old 10-28-2003, 10:31 PM

I read an interesting article once.It described the phases that most hunters go through.First we want to kill a deer any deer.Then after we kill a few we want to kill as many as possible.Fill all the tags.Then after we' ve killed a good many deer we want to kill nice bucks.After a few nice bucks then how we kill them becomes more important.Maybe with a recurve or a muzzleloader.Then at some point the hunt becomes more important than the actual kill.Of course some folks get hung up at some point and never make it out of the kill em all or the trophy stage.But in general I think it' s true.At some point you realize you don' t have anything to prove by killing the biggest or the mostest and just enjoy the hunt.The older I get I enjoy the comraderie at the camp.Good times spent with good friends as much as the hunt.I get much more out of seeing my kids and nephews kill deer than actually killing them myself.Of course when the time comes to satisfy that urge I' m still more than happy to take an animal.It' s just not THE most important thing anymore.

CB
Old 10-29-2003, 02:09 AM

I agree with CAJUN,

Whether it be gun or bow hunting, I think it' s a natural progression, just maturing as a hunter (or a person).

When I was young, I just wanted to kill a deer, any deer. Then I moved to LA.

When I moved back to gods country after living in LA for 7 years. My family purchased some hunting land.

Initially, I just wanted to kill as many deer as possible, not just me, but my party. Kill em all, brown is down, the herd is huge...

My attitude started changing when I found myself becoming angry with my hunting party for what I considered bad hunting practices. Nothing illegal, just plain stupid. Although I never got outwardly angry, except when they would leave a good blood trail to watch football (We' ve found two of their deer in this scenerio), it still ate me up inside.

Amazingly, my attitude change coincided with taking up bow hunting. I so enjoy the hunting party aspect of the gun hunt. There is not a better time to be with friends than on the hunt. But they hunt, I' m a hunter. Bow hunting gives me all the time I need to enjoy hunting, and be as serious as I want to be, which allows me to just be with the guys during the gun hunt, and have fun as well. I' ll still chastise them for things, but it doesn' t bother me as much. If they mess up, fine, do deer in their freezer.

There is also that competative aspect of hunting. I GOT A DEER!!! I think that' s just growing up as well, although you still will feel that with sibblings. Last year, I had no real deer stand (on my own land!) but I still had fun. My older brother got his first deer on the land, and I showed him the finer points of dressing it, he' s in the service, and that was the first time he had hunted on his own land, so it was great.

My focus for the past few years (once again, coinciding with bow hunting) has been the shot itself. I' ve killed 4 deer in the past 3 years, and they have dropped on the spot, all neck shots, I know people have their opinions on that sort of shot, but I' m deadly with my 7mm. I practice all year long, and am confident I can make the shot, if I don' t have it, I don' t take it.

Finally, I' m really getting into still hunting. As I said before, I really had no stand opening weekend, but I had a blast still hunting. I took over 3 hours to move less than half a mile. Just fun. Never saw anything , but I had in the past. After opening weekend, I came back and still hunted again, I passed up several doe trying to get to my destination. When I was within 50 yards of where I was heading, some hunters several ridges away took a shot. 7 deer near me (close) ran by and I shot an 8 pointer at 10 yards. The deer the other hunters shot at ran by be a few minutes later (at 5 feet, really) and I let them go. We had just cut up 4 deer the night before, had my friends buck (and mine) to go, so I let them go. If you had been there while my friends alcoholic wife was telling you how great he was and how we sucked you may have shot, but I guess I have grown up a bit (sure was tempting though).

Geez I babble, I just wanted to agree with CAJUN. It' s what you get out of the hunt. I may not shoot any deer, but I sure still get the rush when I see em. Priorities on the hunt may change day to day, but if your out there, your having fun. Hope I didn' t bore you.

The Trashcanman

Old 10-29-2003, 03:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I' m getting to the point I' m even thinking about quiting. Every year it becomes more like work. The hassle of finding and trying to keep property to hunt on is getting like a war with the other hunters. In my State there are a Million hunters and half of then sem to be around me no matter where I go. I had them scheme against me and other hunters to get the landowner to get us off the property. There is no thing anymore as a hunt it all ends up to be a war against the very people that should be united. The cost to hunt is almost pass what a person on a fixed income can afford. And the rules and regulations just keep getting more stupid.I have had stands stolen.shot in to and destroyed. 50 % of the time I go out someone walks past me on private property. Heck last week I heard a bell ringing ,then talking. Here comes a husband and wife,little girl and to dogs walking past me. No orange. They ask me what I was doing?? I said what the hay are you doing??? They said it is family share day for us. You guys really need to put orange on then read the no trespassing signs. There response> we pay taxes to in this country.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:23 AM

we pay taxes to in this country
Some People [:@]

I have been the same way passing on deer, but I always take a shot with my camera Much easier to drag home.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think Cardeer hit it on the head here in PA. I know quite a few other hunters that have decided to stop hunting because of similar reasons. And the state wonders why license purchasing is on a decline.

Quick Reply: A deep question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.