Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bow hunting general question. Please help >

Bow hunting general question. Please help

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow hunting general question. Please help

Old 01-16-2017, 07:57 AM
Spike

Default Bow hunting general question. Please help

Hey there guys.

I jave got the itch to start bow hunting and archery target practice. I would like to know what kind of bow would be a good duel use for both practice and sport. Im 5'9 and pretty stocky. Just wanted to know if i had a decent amount saved up for a new bow what should i get? Thanks guys
Old 01-16-2017, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off...Welcome to HNI Nathan!!

I posted an informational guide for first time compound bow buyers in the technical section ..Follow this link, http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tech...ing-guide.html read up a bit, and if you have further questions, feel free to ask!!
Old 01-16-2017, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

As an addendum to Superhunter's post, if you are going to hunt with a bow, that is the bow you must practice with. Bow hunting is technique and developing muscle memory by shooting the same bow the same way every time you shoot.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
As an addendum to Superhunter's post, if you are going to hunt with a bow, that is the bow you must practice with. Bow hunting is technique and developing muscle memory by shooting the same bow the same way every time you shoot.
Ditto.....Personally I would not get hung up on brand name. Get to your local arch shop and shoot as many as you can. Just because I like how "X" brand feels and shoots doesn't mean you will. Also my suggestion is don't over weight yourself. start around 50lbs draw and get your form correct before bumping the draw weight.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Welcome to HNI and like has been said we have some really knowledgeable archers here on the site. Corner SH-54 with questions. He has all the correct answers.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

And sadly, nothing but time to answer them...SHEESH full retirement is BORING!!!! Can't wait till March to start going after some dang hogs!!!
Old 01-16-2017, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I will be getting after hogs in Feb.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
And sadly, nothing but time to answer them...SHEESH full retirement is BORING!!!! Can't wait till March to start going after some dang hogs!!!
You have to be kidding. I have been fully retired for 15 years and never run out of fun things to do.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

My advice, same as in one post above, is to visit archery pro shops. Find dealers selling different brands. Shoot as many bows as possible. Pick the bow that feels good to you. Upon purchase, the pro shop owner will set the bow up to fit you. This is generally covered in the purchase price. He/she will help choose the correct arrows for the bow. You need the aide of an expert in your presence to get the correct setup.

A bow designed for hunting will work for paper and 3D target shooting. A bow designed for targets should probabaly not be used for hunting. Generally, target bows and equipment are built with precision in mind and are therefore prone to breakage when put through the riggors of hunting.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:58 AM
Spike

hey guy, form https://hunthacks.com
=> Best Compound Bow for Beginners