Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST BOW AND HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS >

I JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST BOW AND HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST BOW AND HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS

Old 10-24-2003, 07:27 PM

Default I JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST BOW AND HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS

I notice that when my arrows hit the target the are all going in in different directions. One will be straight in and another will be at one angle and another arrow will be at a different angle...is this normal? Also I noticed some recoil and was wondering how to take care of that? Ive been told to get a stabilizer. That would be fine if there werent a million different stabilizers to choose from. How do I know what is right for me? Thanks everyone.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST BOW AND HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS

Your bow is out of tune. Take it to a shop and have it paper tuned.

Any stabilizer will work. Some are light, some are heavy, some are short, some are long...it' s all about which one you want and are comfortable with.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:37 PM
nub

Joe: What kind of target are you shooting into? Targets with multi directional grain can make your arrows slant one way or the other. Try some limb savers and a cheap doinker for starters and see if that helps.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:41 PM

Hi country is right, your bow is not tuned. Take it to the bow shop and have the till checked and what not. A lot depends on your set up also. Do you shoot fingers, release, what type of rest, and your arrow selection. You do not want to under or over spine your arrows for the poundage you shoot. It all sounds complicated at first but it is not bad at all. I remember when I started with my first bow and what a pain. The more you work with it the easier it gets. Now I set up bows for a lot of people. Have a professional work with you the first time, it should be fairly reasonabley priced. If you purchased the bow from a shop, the people there should be willing to set it up for you and help you tune it for free. On stabilizers, I have found that the longer the better for helping with recoil. Of course you don' t want too long of a stablizer. I have a pneumatic one and absolutely love it. I would also highly recommend limb savers if you are getting a lot of kick out of you limbs. They not only quit the bow, they will absorb a lot of the felt recoil. Like Hi County said, take it to the shop and get help at least for the first time. They will explain the set up and check the chart to make sure your arrows are compatible to you set up.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:11 PM
nub

HCBF & wingman, what changes would you make to a bow that has arrows leaning in all directions? Poor center shot would lean left or right. Poor nock point would lean up or down. Niether would do both. Same with spine I would think.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with nub. My bow shoots darts. But in a bag target the arrows will not all be in at the same angle. This is not to say your bow doesn' t possibly need some tweaking. You may also be torquing the bow. Have someone watch you shoot & get their advice. If a shop will let you (most will), try some different stabilizers & pick what works best for you. What bow, and what arrows are you shooting? Light arrows will make the bow louder and felt recoil & vibration will be more noticeable. Limb Savers are always good to put on your bow.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:45 PM

Good point nub, I have never shot a bag target but it makes a lot of since. Never experienced that on my 3-D targest but I see your point.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:56 PM

I shoot with a PSE Silverhawk. My arrows were cut and made at the shop and they are XX75 camo hunter, 2413 superlite arrows. I shoot with a release. I was just in the shop yesterday and had the draw weight set (50 lbs). Any thoughts???
Old 10-24-2003, 09:58 PM
nub

How are your groups joe? You never did mention what type of target your shooting. Heres a good read that might help you out. http://www.eastonarchery.com/news/tu...ning_guide.pdf
It requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view. If you don' t have it I can give you a different link that will allow you to download the reader first.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:21 PM

about your arrows flying different. first check your string rest and sights are all in perfect alignment. then when you shoot make shure that your grip on the bow is light. if you grip the bow to tight than your arrows will kick. good luck

Quick Reply: I JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST BOW AND HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.