Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Disaster!

Old 11-10-2016, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Disaster!

I always have said the very best days of the year to be in the woods bowhunting (if I could only pick 3 days) are the 10th-12th of November. The rut is really kicking up here and I'm finally seeing scrapes where I can hunt.

This afternoon, I arrived at my hunting spot and found out my tailgate was down ... and ALL of my equipment was gone! I patched a hole on my Lone Wolf treestand earlier today and I GUESS I forgot to put the tailgate back up -for the first time ever!

I retraced my steps and eventually did find my bowcase (I always leave it open) and the treestand. EVERYTHING else was gone -including my pack with about $400-$500 worth of stuff in it. It was sitting stacked so I know that stuff was found by someone and taken -less than 1 1/2 hours. THIS SUCKS!!!
Old 11-10-2016, 03:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Whoa, sorry to hear that.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Spike

Oh man. Of be livid
Old 11-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

man that sucks for sure
BUT your NOT the first guy to do this
I have seen a few times now over the yrs, guys do the exact same thing, even with guns

had a close friend find two rifles on the side of the road about a 1/4 mile from the local gun range
guessing the same deal

I once forgot a high end spotting scope at a range, but got lucky came back 30 minutes later and it was still sitting there, with a guy using it, he thought it was a range item LOL

I guess this is a , as good an excuse as you will ever have to get all new gear, so try and think of it as a lesson learned you will surely never repeat!

and MIGHT be a long shot, but you can try contacting local police in the area and see if anyone reports it, there is still a few honest folks out there.

back in early 2000's my buddy left his bow on the tailgate leaving our gun shop parking lot. and a customer seen it and brought it back a couple days later for him!
Old 11-10-2016, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got one of those big boxes or tool boxes across the bed of my pickup near the cab. I often lay my gear up there, while sorting it out and packing it away.

I lost two hats and a machete doing that. Almost lost a rifle, got a mile down the road and had one of those oh chit moments. Found my rifle in the middle of the highway with a broken stock. Thankfully that was all that broke.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Thats gotta be a bad feeling. Sorry to hear that. Remember, it is just stuff though. It's all replaceable. Hate to hear about that happening though.
-Jake
Old 11-11-2016, 12:50 AM
Typical Buck

I have nearly done this myself on a couple of occasions!
Old 11-11-2016, 03:50 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry to hear that. That's got to be frustrating.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what kind of truck you have, but sometimes (not often) the tailgate on my Silverado just falls open. Seems to be random, no big bumps or other reasons I can identify.

Some kind of design flaw. My guess is they compromised on it being easy to open and staying closed. Not the first time the engineers got it wrong.