Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What would u do?? BEAR.... >

What would u do?? BEAR....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would u do?? BEAR....

Old 10-23-2003, 03:26 PM

Default What would u do?? BEAR....

This morning while bowhunting, I had my second encounter of the season with a Black Bear. In 20 years of hunting these same areas, I haven' t ever seen one, let alone two in a year. This time I got a little freaked out. I was coming off my stand, headed back to the snowmaobile trail that leads off the mountain, when I heard kthud, kthud, kthud, something heavy moving toward me real fast. I looked toward the sound, and saw a black bear running straight for me, I don' t know if it actually knew I was there or not, but it was coming fast, and right up the trail I was walking out on, I quickly knocked an arrow and took a step back, ready to draw, it started to slow down, coming within five feet of me, to my left, yup, five feet, not yards, then it slowly came to a stop about 15 feet away. It put its nose in the air and sniffed around, then turned away, heading uphill, away from me to my left. I then grabbed for the digital camera, but I was shaking so bad, I couldn' t even turn it on!!!!![X(] My question for all of you is would you have shot???

The problem is that bear season in my zone is from Sept 1, to Sept 21, so I couldn' t legally shoot, and I have never gotten a bear tag, having never seen one, so even if it was in season, it wouldn' t be legal. You can bet I will have a tag next year, even if it means I won' t see any!!!!

Shoot, Don' t shoot, and if you do shoot, then what???????
Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-23-2003, 03:47 PM

Default RE: What would u do?? BEAR....

NHDEMON, Id be willing to bet that the bear didnt see you and when it stopped and smelled it winded you it went the other way. This has been my experiences with bears in NH,ME and VT. Now if you said you were in NJ id be yanking that string back. Thats the only place ive hunted where the bears dont seem to be afraid of humans.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:32 PM

Those were my thoughts too Dennis, both of the bears I saw this season didn' t seem to agressive, more curious, this one just surprised me by running toward me!!
Old 10-23-2003, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

No questions asked, if a bear is within 10' of me and still coming, I would be shooting, that is if I could draw my bow, I would be shaking like a leaf.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:07 PM

My wife and parents are afraid I' m gonna be attacked, but i don' t think it' s anything I can' t handle, they all want me to carry a pistol too, instead of just my bow, so if they all want to chip in, I' m all for it!! I think my dad and I will go to the conservation officer and find out the legality of killing one out of season if I feel VERY threatened... so far it' s been cool, I was shaking pretty good this time though...
Old 10-23-2003, 05:16 PM

i wouldnt have let it get that close. at ten feet i would be taking my second shot. i would rather not loose an arm or a leg or my life over an animal 3 times my weight not being " in season" . it put itself " in season" when it started running in my direction.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:23 PM

I' m having a hard time judging the weight on them, the first one i saw didn' t look too big until I got back home and looked at the picture, this one seemed even smaller, probably less than 200lbs.. but I have never hunted them so I have nothing to go by weight wise....... I don' t think it really saw me too well in my camo, and was more curious than anything, i debated on weather to shoot, and if that would make things worse........
Old 10-23-2003, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

over an animal 3 times my weight
Come on now eastwood, that would have to be one very big bear

No way now how am I ever letting a bear get within 5 feet of me. Something would have to give.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:54 PM

at ten feet i would be taking my second shot
Im with eastwood there. There would be no doubt that he would smell me I have a load in my pants []
Old 10-23-2003, 05:56 PM
Dominant Buck

When walking in and out in the dark you may wish to sing a song or talk to yourself or something. Anything to let him know you' re not hiding from him. " Come on big boy... you want a piece of me... come on big boy. I' ll show you who your daddy is" . Well, to shoot or not to shoot.... I would have to say NO.... but I' d be making a racket long before he got within 10 feet. Next time you hear Kthud Kthud Kthud.... the mountain will probably erupt with pitter patter pitter patter pitter patter ZZiiiiiiiiiiippppppppppp Zzzzzzzzzziiiinnnnggggggggg as you fly out of there.

Quick Reply: What would u do?? BEAR....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.