Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Morning or evening >

Morning or evening

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Morning or evening

Old 10-28-2003, 07:34 AM

Default RE: Morning or evening

me during non rut i like to hunt evenings during rut mornings... but you cant for get about 11-2 in the morning and early afternoon alot of big bucks have been shot at this time.... mostly when the rut is on, they get up from there beds and the buck are looking for does..
Old 10-28-2003, 07:48 AM

I' ve been deer hunting for about the last 20+ years. I have had killed all my deer but one between the break of dawn and 9 a.m.. My only evening kill was on 10/09/03 it was about 5:40 pm. I might add the doe was my first bow kill also. So, the odds are in my favor (in my opinion) is a morning hunt. However, for what it' s worth. My neighbor has been hunting about 30+ years and he prefers evening hunts and kills 99 % of his during that time & he hunts about 2 miles from where I do... Go figure ? ? ? Long and short of it, hunt whenever you can, for as long as you can, and make the best of it and enjoy God' s creation...
Old 10-28-2003, 08:28 AM

I see more deer in the evenings but they seem to mostly be does, I see more bucks in the morning but not as many deer. I have harvested all my bucks during the morning.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:02 AM

Surely there is no correct answer to this question as it depends on so many different variables.

One aspect that I haven' t seen mentioned is the placement of your treestand relative to the deer' s anticipated actions. Do you hunt near bedding areas - which implies that it is very hard to get into your stand in the afternoon without spooking deer. Do you hunt near feeding areas? This makes it more difficult to approach in the mornings as the deer are typically active in these areas. If the deer know that you are in the area - they will run away or be very, very cautious as they approach.

I know a lot of deer hunters in this area and they seem to fall into two different camps - those who drive their trucks around glassing for deer (always in the afternoons after work) and those who prefer to go into the woods and find out where the deer are bedded. Those who glass for deer in the afternoon are finding areas where the deer are feeding in the afternoon - and they prefer / swear by afternoon hunting. Those who walk the woods and find where the deer are bedding and hanging out during the day almost always prefer to hunt in the mornings.

With all that being said - in my area I prefer to hunt in the morning because everyone else seems to prefer hunting in the afternoon. A lot of these people have to work until 4 (though they usually slip out a little early) and then they all collectively seem to think that they can slip out into the woods for a quick hour of hunting. After several times seeing large deer run away from an approaching hunter I would much rather be in the woods when no one else is around. For that particular reason - most of my successful stand sites are very close to historical bedding areas and I hunt (probably) 75% of the time in the mornings.

I also have to agree with an earlier post - hunting near a bedding area in the morning during rut is unbeatable. Even if there are not deer active in that area on this particular morning - large bucks may come in to the area to see if there are does bedded there. In our area, this buck activity seems to occur around 11 - 12 in the morning - a time period when most of the hunters are not in the field (think the mature bucks realize this?).
Old 10-28-2003, 09:47 AM

Mornings have generally been more productive for me. I also like the fact that I have several hours of light to track my deer.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:28 PM

i like to hunt in the mournings when i can. i hunt close to the bedding areas, so i see alot of deer in the mourning becouse when they get off of the fields in the mourning and into cover they tend to take their time coming back to bed.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

i have never shot a deer am, 8 pm none am! probably cause i dont go much am,,, i can get out early and hunt everyday! ive never gotten a slammer so maybe my game plan is wrong!