Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Tall 8 point CT bowkill >

Tall 8 point CT bowkill

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tall 8 point CT bowkill

Old 09-17-2016, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Tall 8 point CT bowkill

I've been posting about this deer with trail camera pictures earlier. Recently it started showing up during the late afternoon hours. Thursday the 15th was the CT opener,so I figured I'd stay on this thing like a tick until it showed. Saw it on the evening of opening day, but it was about 80 yards away on a ridge feeding on acorns and finally fed off away from me. Got back at it and into my stand yesterday afternoon at about 1500 hrs.
Things were all quiet until about 1715 hrs. when i heard a deer coming from behind me out from the direction of a thick bedding area. As I turned, i noticed it was one of the big bucks i was looking for. The tall 8 pt. The deer was heading right for my general direction, when it just stopped and stood still for 15 minutes at about 40 yards. Typical big buck caution.May have caught some slight scent on the wind. Anyways, it eventually just turned and walked up the ridge away from me and out of sight. About an hour later, I seen two smaller 1 1/2 year old bucks coming off the ridge heading for me. These two bucks milled around me just feeding and lightly sparing with each other.
Thinking the commotion they were making might attract the attention of the big buck that had walked out of sight earlier, I kept looking up the ridge. Sure enough, minutes later, here it comes off the ridge. Slowly,but on a course for the general direction of the two smaller bucks. coming off the ridge, the buck ends up stopping in a perfect clearing at 30 yards, broadside. The second it turned its head, I drew back put the green pin on its lungs and let it rip. At the shot the buck turned and ran back from where it came. Seconds later I thought I heard it crash. I knew the shot was good, so I got down and followed a sparse blood trail. Once I topped the ridge, I looked down towards the stonewall near it's bedding area and saw it piled up. Equipment : Mathews Halon 27.5 inch draw, 70lbs. Arrows are .350 CX Blu RZ's fletched with 3 blazer vanes, topped with 100 grain Rage Hypodermics ( knock offs). HHA kingpin sight with .10 fiber. Scott silverhorn release. Arrows are cranking at 304 fps. Haven't recovered the arrow yet. But will. The damage to the lungs was outstanding. Nice CT. 8 point to start the season off.

How I walked up on it

Trail camera shot
Old 09-17-2016, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Beautiful deer and excellent hunting situation with the young bucks making a ruckus to attract the big boy back.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good looking buck, congrats!
Old 09-17-2016, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Great buck. Do you have multiple buck tags in ct or are you done for the year? Love when a plan comes together.
-Jake
Old 09-17-2016, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Great buck. Do you have multiple buck tags in ct or are you done for the year? Love when a plan comes together.
-Jake
We have a multiple tag system here.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:54 AM
Spike

Awesome. Nice buck, congrats.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

awesome... congrats on a CT stud!
Old 09-22-2016, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Nice...
Old 09-23-2016, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the fine buck!
Old 09-25-2016, 11:36 PM
Bartender

Congratulations!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.