Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shot a buck, opinions.... >

Shot a buck, opinions....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot a buck, opinions....

Old 10-22-2003, 05:35 PM

Default Shot a buck, opinions....

I finally connected on a buck tonight, just want some thoughts from you guys.

Despite the wind and rain, I decided to hunt this evening. On Monday I was hunting grouse and on the way out saw two nice bucks feeding in a cut cornfield. I hiked in there tonight and climbed a maple tree in a point that looked like a good spot for deer to enter the field.

At 6:00, I saw the side of a deer walking my way at about 60 yards, so I stood up for the shot. Immediately I saw he was a buck, and a good one at that. As he walked closer I saw that he had brow tines and was a legal buck. At 40 yards he looked in my direction, then went back to feeding, edging closer. He passed behind a tree, giving me an oppurtunity to draw. When he emerged he was walking right to me, so I continued to wait on him. He passed another tree and stopped broadside at 20 steps. I settled the pin on his side, and all of the sudden, he noticed me. I cut the shot, and he exploded downward. As he ran off, I could see my arrow sticking out of him pretty high in the neck/shoulder area. The arrow had penetrated to my cresting, so I got 20+ inches of shaft in him. I' m just not sure where. I said a little prayer and climbed down. I couldn' t find any blood where he stood, so I marked the spot and snuck out.

I' ve already decided to wait ' til tommorow to follow up the shot. Wish me luck.

Tyler
Old 10-22-2003, 05:45 PM

Default RE: Shot a buck, opinions....

Is this the area you hit him?

Old 10-22-2003, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

TOUGH BREAK PABEARDBUSTER. HOPE YOU FIND HIM.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

hmm, i shot a buck tuesday, in the high neck area and looked for a couple hours tuesday evening, and several hours this afternoon to no avail. no blood where i shot him, but lots for about 100 yrds then nothing. I don' t know what happened, but I thought he was hit hard. maybe not good enough. i don' t know. but you could have a bad experience with this.

He is a dead deer.

Good Luck tommorrow - give it all you got

And bring the camera
Fork Horn

Good luck tomorrow. Make sure you let us know the results.

Massbowhunter
Old 10-22-2003, 06:12 PM

Sitter, the problem is I' m not positive where I hit him... I am pretty sure it was somewhere in that region.

Rack, thanks for the positive reply.

Tyler
Old 10-22-2003, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

well, i wasn' t trying to be un-positive, but it is goin to be a tough track. or atleast my experience with hitting them around that area was. goodluck.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-23-2003, 08:43 AM

best of luck on your search. I Wish I were closer to help out. Sounds like you it might be difficult tracking with the rain. Anyways, hope all works out well...

Quick Reply: Shot a buck, opinions....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.