Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Went Out To Harvest A Doe And Ended Up With... (pics) >

Went Out To Harvest A Doe And Ended Up With... (pics)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Went Out To Harvest A Doe And Ended Up With... (pics)

Old 10-21-2003, 02:23 PM

Default Went Out To Harvest A Doe And Ended Up With... (pics)

A Spike! The West Virginia bow season opened up on Saturday and I wanted to harvest a doe for the freezer before I start trophy hunting the bow hunting only counties here in West Virginia. I hunted daylight till dark on Saturday and only saw a small 4 pointer. On Monday I hunted about 6 hours with no deer sightings at all. The leaves are really starting to fall here and the deer are spooky to say the least. This morning I went at it again and around 8:00 I had a small button buck come right under my stand so I was happy just to see some movement. Around 8:30 I noticed a deer walking around 30 yards or so right in front of my stand. It looked to be a doe but she was heading straight away from me. All of a sudden the deer turned and walked the fence row right beside me. I had ranged the distance and it was exactly 44 yards. The deer was walking up the fence line when it entered in the only small shooting lane I had. I grunted and the deer stopped dead in the lane so I took the shot. This was the best shot to date that I have ever put on a deer. The shockwave entered mid way up the shoulder and went straight though the heart. The deer was only alive 3-4 seconds after the shot and went down in sight. I hurried down out of my stand to go check out the deer and to my surprise it was a spike. I was really hoping to harvest a doe but I guess the spike will taste just as well. Oh and as you can see those shockwaves are simply deadly!!!!

Old 10-21-2003, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Went Out To Harvest A Doe And Ended Up With... (pics)

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2003, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a well placed huge hole!
Old 10-21-2003, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

From the looks of the hit and what you said, I' m assuming the deer was quartering towards you when you shot it?

In any case - congrats on the buck! Makes me want to leave work and get back out in the woods.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the spike.

Sure should make some good eating.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:29 PM

Not to try and " bash" you like many other people have been doing to others lately, but next time try and be positive about the identity of your target. It didn' t mean anything this time, but maybe next time you could make a mistake and shoot a deer that you don' t have a tag for. With that said, great shot, and boy did those shockwaves do the job. Congrats on a nice deer and a great shot.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:44 PM

JZarr- Actually the spike was broadside when I made the shot and I was shooting slightly down on him which is why the shockwave was able to go through the heart. I still can' t get over that entrance wound in that pic. Simply awesome!!!

OlMossyHorns- I have 3 either sex tags so to be honest I was just trying to harvest a deer for the freezer. With that said though I do try to make it a practice to let the young bucks walk and harvest does if I want some deer meat. I think I might need to start taking my binoculars along with me though just to be safe.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:51 PM

Congrats. Mmmm... steak.
Typical Buck

Congrats on the groceries! What grain are your broadheads? That' s a sho-nuff hole!
Good hunting,
Doemasters
Nontypical Buck

Good picture man, congrats on the deer...

And yes...that is a huge hole...put the hurt on the deer, looks like you made a nice clean kill. Congrats again.

Quick Reply: Went Out To Harvest A Doe And Ended Up With... (pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.