Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 RUBBER STINKS !! >

RUBBER STINKS !!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

RUBBER STINKS !!

Old 10-20-2003, 05:10 PM

Default RUBBER STINKS !!

Guys

i just bought my son a pair of LaCrosse Rubber Bottom boots with leather uppers..... I personally use Leather hiking boots to hunt.... I cant help but wonder about rubber boots. I hear all these people swear by rubber boots but the rubber boots stink - you know that strong ' rubber' smell......... Hoe do, or can you even, remove or subdue this smell ? Id think that it would smell BAD to a deer. I know everyone uses rubber but just have to wonder what kind of ' rubber trail' , which is VERY unatural, it leaves as you walk...........

Its just a thought guys... I know a LOT of deer hunters use rubber boots....just make me wonder because the rubber smell on these boots is strong

Tom
Old 10-20-2003, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: RUBBER STINKS !!

I don' t know about your boots but I bought a deer carrier and the rubber tires really smelled strong. After 2 months the smell was gone. It might be like that new car smell. You can also spray them with scent killer and it might speed up the process.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:47 PM

New rubber boots definitely have a strong rubber smell. I usually wear a new pair around the house for a while. Contrary to popular belief, rubber boots arent automatically scent free. They must be kept clean and protected from foreign odors. I wash my boots (LaCrosse Burlys and AlphaBurlys) at least once a week and I always shake some scent destroying powder in before slipping them on to hunt. And I soak them with scent eliminating spray before I walk in.

Tyler
Old 10-20-2003, 06:06 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-20-2003, 06:14 PM

Try washing the boots with baking soda and water. Then spray with scent remover, inside and out. This helped reduce the smell of my new boots. From there it took a few days of wearing them around outside to get rid of the rest.
I typically spray them inside and out before going out in the field. I find that this helps as my feet sweat profusely when wearing them.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:25 PM

I don' t wear rubber boots because I can' t get my feet into them, high instep. Before I go out I spray my boots with hawgs ltd vanishing hunter. Haven' t had a problem yet.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:20 PM

I put my new ones on and walk through the paddock for awhile. After tiptoeing through the horse apples you don' t smell the rubber. Well you don' t notice it much.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a pair of rubber boots that are about 2 years old and they still have the rubber smell. I just can' t get rid of it. I have washed them inside and out with baking soda, drenched them in scent killer and nothing. I gave up on them!!
Old 10-21-2003, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve been considering getting a pair of Elimitrax leggings to slip over my boots and legs. I think that might be the ticket.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:39 AM

I have a pair of Red Head and they do not & did not smell bad out of the box. I keep them doused with scent killer and they stay in my clothes container with pine scent wafers.

Quick Reply: RUBBER STINKS !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.