Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ILLINOIS BOTTOMS BUCKS ? >

ILLINOIS BOTTOMS BUCKS ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ILLINOIS BOTTOMS BUCKS ?

Old 10-17-2003, 09:23 PM

Default ILLINOIS BOTTOMS BUCKS ?

HELLO GUY' S I HAVE A PROBLEM I HUNT RIVER BOTTOMS THAT FLOOD ALL THE TIME I CAN' T FIND NO SIGN OF ANY SORT EXCEPT FOR RUBS THE LAND OWNER SAY' S HE' S SEEN SOME BIG ONE' S I' M LOST?THE WOODS ARE IN A SHAPE THE OF A square and are about30acres or so there' s a large tract of woods that butt into these smaller woods but only by a finger. don' t know . theres a good stand of acorns and a couple persimion tree' s in the area i selected to hunt but no deer?

any help would be great.

Old 10-17-2003, 09:48 PM

Default RE: ILLINOIS BOTTOMS BUCKS ?

Hi WEIRDOH,

Sounds like maybe you might need to sit on stand a few times just for observation, to see if you do see anything....but are these woods just standing by themselves? any fields on the sides? you say 30acres butts into a small finger of woods? Sounds like imo you have the classic bottleneck goin on....if thats what you mean by these woods butting together.....if it were me i maybe would try hunting a little closer to the area where they connect.....just a suggestion you may consider.....any thick stuff? or just relativley open? are these woods private? if so you may try using a game cam to try and locate maybe which trails they are using...since you say it floods out any sign.....in what direction do these woods run? n,s,e,w ?
these are just my opinons and i' m not trying to tell you what to do.....just trying to be of help.....
Old 10-17-2003, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Try hunting the narrowest part of wooded area that butts up against the smaller woods you mentioned. If there are several rubs and the farmer tells you he sees deer, you can bet they are there.

My favorite spot is along a river, but the deer don' t really use it much until the surrounding fields are picked. Closer to the rut that area becomes a trafficjam with deer trails appearing! Good luck.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:54 PM

My favorite spot is along a river, but the deer don' t really use it much until the surrounding fields are picked. Closer to the rut that area becomes a trafficjam with deer trails appearing! Good luck
I hunt the bottoms of the East Fork of the kaskaskia river and during the rut i find close to the creek the best place to be. As far as not during the rutm as far away from people and cars is best.
Old 10-18-2003, 02:31 AM

I would find out where the land owner is seeing the deer and when. Then set up and observe to see if you can figure out their pattern. If that fails wait until December when I retire from the Air Force and move to Troy. I' ll be more than happy to help you out in person.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

Check for the bottle neck like the others where telling you. Also if the the woods section is a large square check the corners to see whats there. Checking the complete surroundings will let you see if you have some funnels, and inside, outside corners to hunt. If you have a good funnel (bottleneck) this will be excellent once the rut starts kicking in as the bucks start cruising for does.

Another thing to consider is the crops in the area. If they are still up (corn) the deer may hang out in there more until they have to head tot he woods. Food sources change too so the deer may be there soon.

Good luck!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2003, 08:10 PM

HEY JEFF
IF YOU WOULDN' T MIND I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THE OFFER.