Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Late Season Hunting Question????? >

Late Season Hunting Question?????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late Season Hunting Question?????

Old 12-30-2015, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Late Season Hunting Question?????

This year with the much warmer weather we have been having I have not seen the typical deer numbers I have seen in years past. These spots I've been frequenting have always given me great success in the past when it was really cold. I am beginning to wonder if they have changed their typical winter pattern due to the warmer temperatures. Input would be appreciated.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

MOTF,, I've been seeing the same thing. I've only hunted late season a few other times for deer, but I'm in the woods allot late seeing and am used to seeing allot of tracks so I know the deer are there. But I've been out for several archery sits and two all day hunts for the extended gun season and haven't seen many deer at all.
-Jake
Old 12-30-2015, 11:39 PM
Bartender

They don't have to leave their core areas like during colder and snowy times. Get a good snow fall and they will be back where you are use to seeing them during the late season.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did do a little searching around the other day and I did find some heavily used trails. With all the rain we've been having it looked like a couple cattle trails in this one area and guess what? I happen to have a stand there. I am going to try it New Year's Day morning and then again on Saturday evening if I don't see any in the morning.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

Here they seem to be on typical October patterns. I'm still seeing fresh scrapes and have seen the bucks grouped up and sparing. Very weird year for sure
Old 01-03-2016, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Saturday evening I had a 1 1/2 year old fork horn and 2 doe fawns walk past me at 10 yards. That was all I saw. Monday and Tuesday it's suppose to be even colder so maybe some of the older deer will be on their feet before dark. I will be going out both evenings. I'm still after a hit list buck but haven't seen any shooter bucks since mid November.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:19 AM
Bartender

Last week on Tuesday we got some snow here in Wi. The next day on Wednesday the deer were moving everywhere like crazy. A few got hit that I seen laying by the side of the road. The deer were making their adjustments since now that the ground was covered in snow.
Originally Posted by peakrut
They don't have to leave their core areas like during colder and snowy times. Get a good snow fall and they will be back where you are use to seeing them during the late season.