Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Distance Between You Another hunter >

Distance Between You Another hunter

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Distance Between You Another hunter

Old 12-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Distance Between You Another hunter

I hunt public land and I primarily bowhunt. I had a guy put up a stand about 70 yards away. That's no big deal to me because the deer come from where I am then to him, plus its public land. I am asking how far is expectable from other hunters to hang a tree stand? I am asking because I do not want to mess up anyone's spot.

Thank You
Croc
Old 12-10-2015, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

personally if he knows your there he shouldn't have been that close what if he stinks or he coughs or whatever and your deer smell or hear him guess what your deer are going bye bye ! we alway's keep about 200 yards when bow hunting. he's probably hoping you'll move to get your spot ? i had a guy in pennsylvania sit about twenty yards away from my tree stand during rifle season ! i was pissed and since he wouldn't move i started making a butload of noise till he left what a jerk!!
Old 12-10-2015, 12:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I can see them, it is too close to suit me, unless it is someone I am hunting with.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt public land as well and had a deer shot 15 yards away from me as I had the crosshairs on his shoulders! W.T.F.
Turns out some kid was hiding behind a tree, he knew where I was (I had no idea he was there) and he shot straight in my direction. I gave him a pass but man...sucks to have a deer shot from under you.
As far as your case goes, I would introduce yourself and say "well... if we're going to be hunting this close to each other we might as well know who we're hunting by." I don't think 70 yards is too bad with a bow. But if it's a decent sized woods there should be no reason he can't find someplace else. On the other hand it's public land, he has just as much right to it was you do. That's public land for ya.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt public land as well and had a deer shot 15 yards away from me as I had the crosshairs on his shoulders! W.T.F.
Turns out some kid was hiding behind a tree, he knew where I was (I had no idea he was there) and he shot straight in my direction. I gave him a pass but man...sucks to have a deer shot from under you.
As far as your case goes, I would introduce yourself and say "well... if we're going to be hunting this close to each other we might as well know who we're hunting by." I don't think 70 yards is too bad with a bow. But if it's a decent sized woods there should be no reason he can't find someplace else. On the other hand it's public land, he has just as much right to it was you do. That's public land for ya.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's one spot my wife and I hunt that is easy walk from the road for quick hunts, it's about 250 yards long and 200 yards wide. There's 5 tree stands in there. We've met two of the others and there's no issue. Actually met one early in the morning trying to find a deer we hit the night before, there was no issue, he climbed down and helped us for an hour despite us basically ruining his hunt. He's now a friend and when we see each others truck there we make sure to take routes into the stands to avoid each other.

The owner of the 5th stand, he's kind of a jerk. But he only gun hunts and I pretty much avoid that area in gun season.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

This happens where I am at to, I say it depends on the terrain. Where I am at if a guy was 100-150 yards or more from me then well so be it. I will out sit him and have had a few deer spooked to me because of that instance right there. It is so thick down here that I will not see a deer where they are sitting so it doesn't really matter to me as long as they play the wind right. I will normally whistle to the person or try to get their attention and generally they move off but that is the price to hunting public land. But if you are running into people go deeper in the woods.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

my family set up within 100 yds of each other & IF it's public & 70-100 yds away we have no problem with another bowhunter. Now, if that hunter is of the noisy type, it may or may not be a problem.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jcrobra
Gave him a pass, huh? I know what I would have given him if it was me getting shot at when he knew I was there!
Old 12-25-2015, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Depends on where you hunt.

Heavy forested; leaves still on the trees. You might not see the other hunter or he you.
I once tracked a deer. It was so thick I couldn't see my stand or see the deer at the same time. The deer was found only 50 yards from the stand.

Had a general rule in one state. If it didn't go down in your eyesight and it was still running, the last shooter claimed the deer.

Once I was hunting on the ground. A tree stand hunter put a climbing stand near me. I could hear him climbing but I couldn't see the hunter and he certainly didn't see me. I moved some fifty-seventy yards away. I got to see a buck. The tree stand hunter never saw the deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.