Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Safety harness life expectancy >

Safety harness life expectancy

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Safety harness life expectancy

Old 12-01-2015, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Safety harness life expectancy

was up in my stand a couple weeks ago and I guess I was sittin prob 25-30 ft off the ground and I started thinking about my safety harness and if I fell, be some crap if my tether broke and down I went... Kinda scared me a little wondering if these thing deteriorate after years of use... I have a fall woods seat o pants harness before summit got a hold of it...

What ya think
Old 12-01-2015, 02:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Usually the info that comes with the harnesses tell you how long you should use them before you replace them. AS far as falling, it is one time and done, then replace.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:54 PM
JW
Super Moderator

OSHA lists no set time but does state any worn, torn, or frayed, fall restraint system should be removed from use immediately. It is up to the user.
And as OldTimer stated they all are a ONE TIME use. Fall once go get a new one.

One nice thing about the Hunter Safety Systems which I do wear. If I fall I call them. I may not need to buy another vest according to the FAQs I read. And I use a LifeLine on all my tree stands which uses a Prusic knot. So I am tethered from the ground up on my ladder stands and any stand I use.

JW
Old 12-02-2015, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

Replace your harness as often as you replace the seat belts in your car. Those seat belts see incredible heat and cold and repeated use and seem to last a lifetime.

so will your harness..
Old 12-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by DIY_guy
Replace your harness as often as you replace the seat belts in your car. Those seat belts see incredible heat and cold and repeated use and seem to last a lifetime.

so will your harness..
I'm with the other people when they say fall once and replace it and as you say replace them as often as you replace you seat belts that's a good theory if you replace your seat belts like they say to your suppose to replace your seat belts after every wreck your in they are a one time safety feature along with safety harnesses
Old 12-04-2015, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DIY_guy

so will your harness..
This exactly
Old 12-06-2015, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you look at the strap on your safety harness, you will see it is over lapped and sewn. When you fall, the thread of the sewing in the over laps breaks thereby taking some of the jar out of the fall. With out this design your stop when you reached the end would be a lot harder. Once this over lap is separated, that is why it is called a one time use. All the best.