Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arm slap?

Old 10-16-2003, 02:20 PM

Default Arm slap?

So i have been shooting my bow for about 5 years now. I have always had a problem with this " arm slap" but i just figured it was normal. To keep it from bothering me, i just wear a long sleeve shirt...i dont get hit too bad, just nicked by the string.

So what causes arm slap and how can i fix it? I am not sure what my brace height is, and my bow is in my truck now or i would check it out. If form causes it, what parts of form will cause it? I shoot a Hoyt Raider (older bow) if anyone knows where to get the specs on it. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how to stop this or correct my form.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Arm slap?

This is caused by poor arm form. Practice rolling your elbow out (pronate
the arm)to where it is parallel to the ground. Or I should say to where the
elbow is pointing out to your side. If the elbow is pointing down, your going
to get slapped. You should be able to flex your arm in the transverse plane.
Or in other words if you bent you arm it should bring your forearm to your
chest. It will feel odd at first, especially after shooting the other way for
5 years. This should cure the problem. You do want to get rid of the arm
slap. Arm slap, even a little, will alter your arrows flight. Once you get use
to shooting with the elbow out, you will probably notice an improved group.

Some thing else to consider is draw length. Too long can cause problems.

Hope this helps
Burnie.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:28 PM

Arm slap can indeed be caused by poor form. In my experience, poor form is the number one culprit pertaining to arm slap. Check how you stand when shooting. I' ll bet you are facing 90 degrees away from your target when you release. If that' s the case, then you will undoubtedly hit your bow arm with the string. A low brace height bow just makes the problem worse. Try opening up your stance a bit and I bet your problem goes away. Instead of 90 degrees to the target try something less. If you straight arm your bow that can also contribute to the problem. A slight bend at the elbow instead of locking out should help. My bet...Your stance is not open enough to allow the string to pass. In hunting clothes, this will just turn into a nightmare. Shooting at a deer with the arm slap problem is just asking for trouble. Hope this helps. Jim
Old 10-16-2003, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another thing that is usually over looked is too long a draw lenght forcing you to straighten the arm.

If what the others have said dont work get the draw lenght shortened.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:43 PM

Bowhuntrey:

Three (common) causes,

1. Draw-length is too long for you.
2. Grabbing too deep into your grip, which will cause you to cock your wrist too far inward which will then cause your bow arm to be cocked inward and make it too difficult to " crack" your bow arm (slightly bent, elbow out).
3. Brace height too short for your form.

1 and 2 are the most common causes of the three.

If your draw-length is to long, you can get a rough indicator by how far past your anchor you can pull you string. If you can easily pull an additional inch past your draw-length, that is one indicator. However, the problem may be that your anchor is already too far back, also caused by the draw-length being too long.

Another test to provide you an indicator that your draw-length is too long, is to do the following:

Stand in range shooting form. If you are a right hand shooter, move your right foot 1/2 step forward and fire a few rounds. Then move your right foot a full foot length forward and fire a few rounds. If you are left-handed, do the reverse. If your arm slap begins to disappear, or completely disappears, I would suspect that your draw-length is too long.

If the above test eliminates your problem, do not use it as a permanent fix. Shorten your bow' s draw-length.

For your grip, make sure your hand is not too far inward on the grip. Also, if you use a low-wrist grip (heel of grip hand down), a low-wrist, at least for me, makes it more difficult to properly " crack" your bow arm and turn your elbow slightly out.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:47 PM

Aussie...Good point. I' ll second the motion about the draw length being too long. That is also a big problem. How many times have you heard..." I have a 30 inch draw" when you know darn well that the dude is 5' 10" and it' s probably more like 28 inches. Over the years I have shortened my draw length by an inch or more. It helps. Jim
Old 10-16-2003, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

I found that when I grip the bow too tightly I was geting hit on the arm by the string. I used to get black and blue marks on my forearm when I was shooting in a t-shir during the summer. Then somone told me to loosen up my grip and actually shoot with my hand open and the bow resting in the crook between my thumb and forefinger. I haven' t had a problem since.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:38 PM

might also check the brace height.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same problem. I use to just knick my arm. The problem is you are gripping the bow like you would give someone a handshake (Im guessing?) What you do is put your left arm straight out so your flat hand is perpindiclular to the ground now turn your hand to the right about 25degrees. This should solve the problem. It worked for me. If you are a lefty flip flop the right and left thing.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:24 PM

thanks guys, just shot about 45-50 and didnt hit myself once...just had to focus on keeping my arm bent a little (done by angling my grip a bit). pretty nice groups too, just gotta work on it some...thanks again

Quick Reply: Arm slap?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.