Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Neck Shots

Old 08-16-2015, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default Neck Shots

Just curious what people think about neck shots with a bow. I don't personally know if I would do it, I'm all for it with a rifle. But bow is a whole different ball game. What do you think? Pros, Cons? What's your opinion?
Old 08-16-2015, 06:13 PM
Spike

I don't think the heart/lungs shot can be beat. The neck shot can work but adds extra difficulty as its a separate movement other than the normal body movement. I also think its more likely to wound than a heart/lung shot.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

iv'e shot deer in the neck the wind pipe to be exact and it is a killing shot and i mean quick !! i recently went elk hunting and ended up not taking home a trophy bull because i didn't shoot him face on in the neck at probably 5 yard !i waited for him to pass and get the quartering away shot and guess what no elk ! i don't think it's the best choice but if you know it's for sure i say take it !!!
Old 08-16-2015, 08:47 PM
Spike

If you hit the wind pipe or vertebrae it should be an effective shot. I still would prefer the broad side shot at heart/lung. I think the neck shot should be more of a shot taken when its what the opportunity only presents. Such as in muzzlestuffers case the straight on neck/center chest shot probably would of been better then the quartering away.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:38 AM
Typical Buck

The lungs are far bigger so why take a lower percentage shot at a smaller target. If the neck is all you have, pass and shoot the buck at a later date but dont take risky shots out of desperation hoping it will work.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

shooting a deer in the neck with a bow IMO is not an acceptable shot. Yes it is a killing shot but the chance of wounding, even fatally wounding the animal and not finding it is to great. If you can't put an arrow into the heart/lung area you shouldn't shoot at all.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

I'll ditto Bronko's post.
Take a neck shot only if you are willing for your deer to end up as a poster boy on the anti's websites showing the cruelty of bowhunting...
Neck/head shots are not percentage shots - aim for the heart/lungs.

-fsh
Old 08-17-2015, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as bowhunting, I want a double lung or heart shot. I am letting the deer pass it that opportunity doesn't present itself.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

You all just reassured what I suspected. It never seemed like a great idea, but some guys swear by it. Good to know some different opinions. When you can throw a 3 inch group at 30-40, I see no sense in shooting anywhere but heart/lung.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:08 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

No good , if you hit wrong a hurt animal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.