Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow sights

Old 08-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Spike

Default Bow sights

I was looking into the 3 pin iq bow sight does anybody have any knowledge about this sight thank u
Old 08-12-2015, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was wondering also. It looks like a good idea especially for novice shooters that may have a tendency to torque their bow. I posed this question to a major pro shop in my area because I'm always looking for a way to improve and they told me they are a real pain to set up correctly. But once set up they are pretty good.
The advertisement on TV that says if you torque your bow 1/4"...... wow, that's a lot of torque. If you just allow the bow handle to rest in the V between thumb and forefinger and across the meaty part of your palm, keep your fingers just dangling in front of the handle (don't stick them straight out as that also causes torque), lock your left shoulder (right handed shooter) and relax your bow arm, keep your right arm in line out to the elbow and squeeze the trigger you should be fine.
It's hard to describe and easier than explained. But with good form and practice you don't need the IQ sight. Remember practice does not make perfect - perfect practice makes perfect.

Last edited by bronko22000; 08-12-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:37 PM
Spike

Thank u very much on your reply I was reading reviews on the iq sight and that's what they say that they are a pain to set up. So in your opinion what do u think is a good sight without breaking the bank
Old 08-12-2015, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

i found it's really hard to pick out a bow sight just based on recommendation as there are so many variables to consider.
for instance, i'm 37 now and my eyes have a slight astigmatism that was making multi-pin sights really tough to use as the fibers all wanted to blur together on me. after that i tried my first single pin sight which was the ticket but with my peep the outer ring on the sight was a little small for my taste and i finally settled on an hha 5519xl and am completely pleased with it.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sites are one of the few things on a bow that noone can really help you with. JohnnyHildo pretty much nailed it. Everyones eyes are different. Many different styles of shooting a compound bow. It also depends on the game as well as the area you intend to hunt. I.E. will your shots be severely limited or will you have extended ranges where you will need multiple pins. Also depends upon how fast your bow is. Your higher end bows nowadays are more than capable of 300 feet per second speeds with properly weighted arrows for hunting. At those speeds you could easily get away with 2 pins for hunting out to ranges of 40 yards.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Like the other 2 stated. Sights are a personal choice. IMO however I have found that the TruGlo Extreme 3 or 5 pin sight is the one I like. I have the 5 pin on all my bows. It is relatively inexpensive as sights go but it is solid, the fiber optic pins are small enough for precise aiming at longer distances and the length of the fiber optic is long enough (it wraps around the housing several times) that it gathers a lot of light making the pins easily visible even after legal shooting light. I choose the 5 pin sight because I like to practice at longer ranges which will magnify any errors in technique/form and tuning.