Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Comments on posts >

Comments on posts

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Comments on posts

Old 10-15-2003, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Comments on posts

great post.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can understand the message that is trying to be said, however sometimes some people need to be ripped. There was one person who may not be here anymore, who would post 3 or 4 trimes per year about a deer he shot and wounded. The 1st year he posted, he did NOT get ripped, but eventually he started getting ripped because he made the same mistake over and over. It would be a great thing if he gave up bowhunting.

I do not read the " I can' t find my deer" posts anymore. It just got to be so many of them.

Doesn' t anybody do any type of research or study some, when the take up a new sport? It is like some people will go to the pro shop and buy a setup bow and head straight to the woods! Take a 40 yard shot, stick a deer in the back leg then come here and say I shot him but only missed by a little, now I can' t find him. What should I do? I now have a typical response for when I do read those posts...Spend some time at the range!

Someone else said that when someone types a response it wasn' t meant to be bashing but was taken that way...Yep. I agree 100%
Old 10-16-2003, 03:51 AM

This is a very good post. I will make a better effort to be a source of information to the young and inexperienced hunters among us. In NO way am I any sort of expert, but on the other hand I as well as many of you have been through a lot of the growing pains the newbies are currently experiencing. Let' s all try to be more understanding. Sometimes it' s hard. The constructive criticism vs. flaming line can be a fine line to walk indeed. Jim

Hope my spelling and grammer are O.K. for you guys...............
Old 10-16-2003, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jimimac, as long as you don' t type ' quite' when you mean ' quiet' or say ' spline' instead of ' spine' , you' re okay by me.

I agree that there are some here that are too quick to rip, but I also agree with thundermug that there are those RARE times when a ripping is duly deserved. But even then, you can do a good ripping without being a clod.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:45 PM
Spike

Even before we started this new discussion, I was thinking of creating a post to discuss our treatment of other posters. I read this board practically every day, but seldom ever post. However, The way some people treat other posters has really bothered me. So, here are my views on the subject, as well as on the posting on certain topics.

It never, never, helps to bash someone. Never. It is never beneficial. It serves no useful purpose. The end result will either be that the person will either never post again, leave the forum, and who knows, maybe give up hunting all together, and then we have lost a friend, and ally, and supporter. Or, the person will get defensive, and a war of words insues. It is entirely possible to correct, to lead, to guide, without being vicious, vindictive, or antagonistic. Aren' t we here for those reasons? To lead and guide, not to destroy? Certainly, if mistakes have been made, these can be pointed out, and suggestions offered for improvement. But, it is just as easy to offer such suggestions repectfully as it is to offer them degradingly. I suggest we help each other, rather than tear each other apart.

With regards to lost animal posts, or other posts in which someone makes a mistake, how are to learn from these mistakes if we don' t share them with others and find out how we can do things better? Is there anyone out there that has never made a mistake? Maybe, but I' m telling you, you' re in select company. All of us make mistakes, and the way to learn from them is to solicit suggestions from those more experienced than ourselves. Once in a while, lost animals are not a result of a mistake, anyway, but a result of unfortunate circumtances, such as a deer that has been standing still moves the instant you shoot. I read a post, on another forum recently of a hunter that lost his first deer after 30 years of hunting. I respect this hunter a lot, and consider him to be extremely skilled and responsible. But, sometimes, things happen. As far as the antis go, what we post on this board really isn' t going to make much of a difference. If they couldn' t find stories of lost animals, they would just make them up anyway. Aside from than, lost animals are a fact, truth. Lost animals are going to happen. I don' t believe in coverups, in hiding or ignoring facts. I don' t like being secretive about things, or ignoring reality. If an anti asks me if animals are lost by hunting, I' m not going to lie to her and say they aren' t. I do not believe in denying facts. I feel that covering up facts only makes it that much worse when the fact is revealed. At the same time, It isn' t beneficial to taunt these people, by telling them gory stories or slinging dead animals on the hood our our truck.

As far as pictures go. I like to see good pictures, too, but I' m not going criticize any other hunter' s picture. I particularly like to see the animal before it is dressed out, whether in the garage or in the field. I also like to see the whole animal, not just the head and neck. As far as a little blood, tongues, etc, I see that as, again, part of hunting. To pretend there is no blood spilled is unrealistic. I actually like to be able to tell where the entry/exit wound is. Furthermore this whole deal about politically correct pictures is a very recent phenomenon, born, I think, primarily out of the internet. Many, many, people are not yet familiar with the rules to politically correct hunting pictures, it will take time for the word to get around.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well i read all the replies and i think there are many good posts so right on. I have been a member on here actually longer then what my ' date joined' says. I am still fairly new to the world of bowhunting. I will not denie this, i havent gotten anything with my bow but i still keep trying and trying and trying again and again on praticing. It can be very frustrating at times especially if an arrow goes too far right, under, etc etc. I try to help out hunters younger then me and even the ones who have bowhunt almost as long as i have been alive (25 years) Despite the bashings that people tend to bring upon others in here, myself included, i think this is a great place to learn literally about anything and everything about hunting and its contents closely related. I am glad that i have made the choice to put away the gun and use a bow. In time i will get only better in shooting, stalking, so on so forth, as well everyone else who comes into this forum. I know my success in the future would be from what i learned from people on here.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:21 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-17-2003, 09:12 PM

Look out, Chris is going to speak. Yep, That' s me. I know we all have cute little made up names here and maybe sometimes that is part of the problem.

I have been hunting for about 15 years. I have been bowhunting for 2. I have no doubts in my hunting abilities, but this bow hunting was all new to me. Lots of it still is. I live in northern Minnesota by a small town of only about 1200 people. There are no real large cities near here. I have to drive over 2 hours to hit a city of 10,000 people.

I don' t know many bow hunters around here. There is one bow shop. I mean for well over 100 miles there is one place you can buy bows. As far as staff to help tune you bow? Let' s just say if you can hit the bullseye at 20 yards, then you are set. I once asked about paper tuning. I got nothing but a strange stare. My point is coming...

For the last two years 99% of what I have learned about bow hunting and equipment has come from this site. At this site I have learned about tuning my bow, the science of arrow flight, fletching my own arrows, and so much more. Without this site my ability to learn these things would have been greatly reduced.

I know I am not alone. There are others like me. Maybe not new to hunting, or maybe they are just starting out. I read this site for months before I ever posted. I just sat back and sucked up the tips and info. I still do lots more reading than I do posting, but I am working on that.

Sometimes I have seen things get a little ugly. A recent thread by Bowdacious comes to my mind. I regret that I too kind of jumped on that one before Bowdacious ever had a chance to explain. I don' t know Bowdacious. I have never met him. I don' t know what kind of person he is, but here I am assuming things and judging him like he did something wrong based only on a few words on my screen. Bowdacious, if you read this I am sorry I took part in that.

Here comes my point....

*Most* of us do not know each other. Not really anyway. That gives us the freedom to say what we want here without fear. We all have that freedom. What we do with it is up to each of us. We can be helpful and friendly to others or we can shoot our mouths off and call others names.

As someone who has received great benefit from many of you here I only hope I can return the favor, but take heart in knowing that you are helping others.

Chris is done rambling now. Thanks for listening.
Old 10-18-2003, 02:00 AM

Great reply Belle Island! It would be stupid to criticize another person based on their spelling and grammar when you have sentence run ons, misspellings and careless mistakes also.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe the board can add another another key at the bottom of the reply message, they have ok, preview and cancel they should add a spell check. Sure would save me time going to the dictionary. I almost wrote sure wood

Quick Reply: Comments on posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.