Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting+wind=deer not moving? >

hunting+wind=deer not moving?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting+wind=deer not moving?

Old 10-15-2003, 06:59 AM

Default hunting+wind=deer not moving?

so i take it that windy days are generally a bad time to be out and about stompin through the woods in search of the elusive white tail deer? Ive heard this before, I just had to check it out this morning to make sure it was true.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: hunting+wind=deer not moving?

Actually it can be a good time for still hunting low spots, hit the high sides of the low spots on the downwind side, if there are acorns or the like in the low spots you may just find deer down in the gulleys/low spots.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

What Taz says is good advice. Finding the places where deer are sheltered from the wind will improve your odds. It' s also a good time to hunt standing corn since they can' t hear you walking through the stalks.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

I am hoping to find one under my stand this afternoon.!! If not it is still better than sitting at home thinking about being out in the woods. To tell the truth I have actually had pretty decent luck on windy days. I mean there have been times when I did not see any and there have been a few where I have seen a ton of deer late in the season in places where I had only seen deer early on.It is like they have learned that most of the times they are safe to roam on windy days since alot of guys stay home.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can remember jumping 2 doe on windy days like this. I was walking through some tall weeds about chest high. They were bedded down in the middle of the field. I litterally was 2 steps away from stepping on one. A strong wind can take away 2 of their biggest defenses.

Old 10-15-2003, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

For the beginners among us that dont know what hunting through the corn entails.

Waiting for the wind to blow really hard, sneaking thru the rows of corn, peering down each row and looking for deer, walking into the wind for about 1/2 as far as you saw the last time you peeked and looking again, etc, etc. You can have some really Close encounters in the corn.

A couple things if your going to hunt the corn on a windy day, first use a pair of safey glasses nothing hurts worse than a corn leaf smacking you in the eye. Second, I like to hunt corn fields that the farmer has already started harvesting. Having the corn cut up in blocks seems to help with the tediousness of these type of hunting,
Old 10-15-2003, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

Actually, hunting in the wind is' nt all that bad sometimes. Often, the wind does down late in the evening, right when the deer usually come out anyway. If your stand hunting, it' s nice to walk in the wind because the deer can' t hear as well.

J
Old 10-15-2003, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

once i went out when it was really windy and thinking that the deer would be inthick covwer i decided to taqke the corn field to teh spot that i had planned to hunt. well i stopped to look through a gap to see if there where deer bedded where i planned to hunt, when i turned back to the row of corn tehre a a basket 8 pointer standing right in front of me... he was looking at me and i didn' t have an arrow on so i couldn' t shoot him...i got pretty mad... but i gotta agree with teh others still hunting corn fields when its really windy is a very good way to get REALLY close to deer
Old 10-15-2003, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

In some cases, the wind will keep the deer from moving, especially if you have relatively flat terrain without good wind breaks or low lying areas....very similar to the area I hunt.
If that is the case, you want to be out there as soon as the wind stops.

The deer will feed about every 6-8 hours. If a storm or high winds keep them bedded, as soon as things die down, they will be out there feeding, and feeding hard. The same normally holds true when a storm is moving in. Right before the storm gets there, deer will normally feed in preparation for the bad weather.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:28 PM

I was out hunting this past weekend and it was blowing like nuts out until about 7:15 and then it let up and withing 5 min. I saw 9 bucks and 1 doe come through. So I am assuming the wind does have some affect on the movement.

Quick Reply: hunting+wind=deer not moving?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.