Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Post up all of your bow string questions >

Post up all of your bow string questions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Post up all of your bow string questions

Old 05-30-2015, 06:28 AM
Spike

Default Post up all of your bow string questions

We've been working on a little project to educate our customers and the archery community in general. Each day we get asked alot of the same questions over and over again. This makes me realize that the info I take for granted is not common knowledge among everyone.

If you have a bow string related question feel free to post up. No matter how basic or advanced you feel the questions is please share. If you do not want the question on the open forum feel free PM me or email at [email protected] and I'll be happy to help.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK - This sounds pretty basic but sometimes makes me crazy. I put a new set of strings and cables on my bow last year after the end of the season. D-loop and peep were in perfect alignment. I had probably shot 100 or so shots through it and hung it up for the winter (Went to FL to get out of the cold) But when I picked it up to shoot this spring the peep was twisted about 1/4 turn. I do have a LCA bow vise and I tried twisting the string 1/2 twist at a time in both directions and it looks good until I shoot. Then it goes awry again. Is there and easy fix for this other than trial and error?
Old 06-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bronko, is your loop a string or one of them metal jobs? Either way, the way I set mine is with the loop. As in I knot the loop a little left or right and when I hook on and pull it rotates my peep to where it needs to be.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah I do that too. But with the right twist in the string, I figure everything should be aligned pointing to the rear. Even if it only takes a 1/2 twist of the string.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:23 PM
Spike

The best thing is to add twists to the bow string until you get the peep straight and then adjust your dloop. Trying to get both realigned together can be a nightmare.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:14 AM
Spike

Default New Strings

I did a stupid thing last year. I was concentrating heavily on correcting my sons form during a practice session. After he released a great shot I drew my bow and fired off an arrow. Well, that was my intent. No arrow. I couldn't believe I dry fired my bow! I did use it as a lesson for my son though. Bow shop looked it over and gave it a thumbs up but mentioned that the string would need an earlier replacement than usual because of this. But, that it could go another season. The bow has been shot mostly before bow season for about 3 years now.

How do I know when to replace the string? Will a dry fire that didn't hurt the bow cause a negative effect on string life?
Old 06-21-2015, 05:05 AM
Banned

heres a question , I was asked.

when storing your bow for long periods(off season), do you remove string?I do not. what say , the rest of you?
Old 06-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kidoggy
heres a question , I was asked.

when storing your bow for long periods(off season), do you remove string?I do not. what say , the rest of you?
I've always been instructed to lower the poundage (compound) to the minimum but NOT to de-string. Something about the flex in the limbs would "relax" over time being un-strung. I really wouldn't know if that is 100% accurate because I shoot all my bows often throughout the year so they don't get stored long periods of time.

As far as the dry fire question, you are really lucky you didn't blow a limb or crack your riser. The string is more than likely going to go on you sooner than normal. It took a serious pounding with that dry fire. Go over it with a magnifying glass to double check the fibers. Make sure it's not "furred" up. If it's not stretched or "furred" up then it should be fine to shoot for a while. Make sure you check your cable anchors really well too.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Spike

Do you find the new 8190 to be slower than 8125?

how does 452x perform?

I put a new 8190 set on late last year and seemed to have lost 9fps. Had 8125 on beforehand.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:47 AM
Spike

here is a link to an article that explains the different materials http://www.60xcustomstrings.com/blog...ing-materials/