Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage Question

Old 12-08-2014, 04:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by GSPhunter_01
Well we almost managed to stay on topic, which always seems to be a challenge when asking a question like this so that's a plus I guess!

It sounds like hypodermics are the way to go.
if I was going to shoot a Rage it would be the hypo from what I have heard..

And you know anytime you come on a forum and ask what is the best ..... or who makes the best ..... or what kind of ..... should I buy you will get almost as many answers AND opinions as there are people on the forum...

MARRY CHRISTMAS FOLKS,,
Old 12-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

I have taken a single deer with a Rage three blade Broadhead. Some would say that a single shot harvest with the deer piling up under 100 yards is great. My concern is that two of the three blades did not fully deploy. It was a 10 yard quartering toward me pass-through that entered between ribs. Blades not bent at all,stuck blades were full of hair.

Happy that I had a good blood trail though concerned with continued use. I will use this package up, but will be on the lookout for their replacement.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've only taken one deer with the original Rage 2 blade and it performed flawlessly. I carried the Hypodermic this year but never shot anything with one. But they do fly great and i like this design over the original. If you have the KE the Rage is the way to go IMO.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MaineRida
I have taken a single deer with a Rage three blade Broadhead. Some would say that a single shot harvest with the deer piling up under 100 yards is great. My concern is that two of the three blades did not fully deploy. It was a 10 yard quartering toward me pass-through that entered between ribs. Blades not bent at all,stuck blades were full of hair.

Happy that I had a good blood trail though concerned with continued use. I will use this package up, but will be on the lookout for their replacement.
To many good heads on the market to use one that might not work even if the chances are low.

I just don't get it I guess.

Last edited by rockport; 12-08-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Indecision

You get deer with a different bow, a different arrow, and a different broadhead, that's entirely different from another successful hunter.
And you're wondering if you should change.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had been shooting the rage 2 blade ever since they came out. Last year I switched to the chisels tip and they have been good to me as well. I have heard nothing but great things about the hypodermics. I wouldn't have a problem with any.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fingerz42
So far two responses by people who haven't and don't shoot rages.

I've only shot the 2" cutting diameter two blade. It performed flawlessly.
I haven't because my friend shot them and hardly had great penetration then switched to a fixed and has pass troughs everytime. I have also helped track a deer (Florida deer around 140lbs) that was shot through the shoulder with a Matthews Switchback set a 70lbs and the guy only got 4 inches of penetration. I will stick with my Slicktricks and know when or if my arrow hits that shoulder I will have a complete pass through.

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 12-26-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:33 AM
Banned

My buddy this year put a hypodermic behind the shoulder of a spike elk and the tip was sticking 6 inches out the other side. Great blood trail but didnt need it as he only went 30 yards and piled up. Put the tip back on another arrow that he had a fixed head on and took a black bear 2 days later with a complete pass through. Id say they are pretty good.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rage are good broadheads but I prefer my Muzzy's, bad to the bone and great on pass-thrus.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

I've shot 3 blade Rage's ever sense they came out on the market and have lost only one deer and that was my fault, poor shot placement. As far as what golfpro261 said about the collars that lock the blades into place, I don't like them at all. The deer I lost, I had one of those collars on the broad head and I'm not sure the blades expanded properly. I never had any problems with them until that happened. I won't be using the collars again. Rage makes one hell of a hole and I've tried other fixed blade broad heads and always go back to the Rage. I'm also thinking of switching to the Chisel tips or Hypodermics so I'll be checking back on this post.