Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Maximum range for deer? >

Maximum range for deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Maximum range for deer?

Old 11-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by fingerz42
So you have zero real world experience with shots at a live animal at fifty or more yards. That's all I needed to know.
I haven't felt comfortable making that distance of a shot until this year.. Unlike many hunters I dont fling arrows at animals to try to kill them.. I passed a 200" deer because I wasn't comfortable making a 30 yard shot two years ago. After shooting every day all last year and having 3" groups at 60 yards I have the confidence to make that shot. It is an ethical shot. Today's technology in bows has made these distances possible.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The difference between a 330 fps bow and a 270fps bow at 60 yards is about .12 seconds. That extra tenth is enough?

Ofcourse your opinion is hypothetical as you have never shot a live animal at 60 yards.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

Have you ever shot an animal at 60 yards?
Old 11-27-2014, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

You must also put in the quietness off the bow and also the speed of sound into account...
If it takes me shooting an animal at 60 yards to gain "experience" then I can do that.. I'll go after a doe at 50+ yards.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

How about the experience the animal may get if you gut shoot it trying to gain experience. Target shooting at 50, 60 ards or beyond is one thing stretching yor abilty on an animal is something else. When did archery change from the skill of getting an animal close where you can make a clean humane kill to lets see if we can kill a deer with a bow at rifle distances?
Old 11-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
How about the experience the animal may get if you gut shoot it trying to gain experience. Target shooting at 50, 60 ards or beyond is one thing stretching yor abilty on an animal is something else. When did archery change from the skill of getting an animal close where you can make a clean humane kill to lets see if we can kill a deer with a bow at rifle distances?
I'm not stretching my ability. I don't get excited or shaky when I see a deer.. That comes after the shot.. It hasn't changed, I love getting the deer in close. In fact my best encounter this year is when I had a mature 5.5+ year old buck at 7 yards broadside while I was hunting from the ground. I let him walk because he had she's one side already..

60 yards can still produce clean humane kills with a bow. Does anybody not watch the outdoor channel where these shots are becoming more and more common with the modern technology.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Lee Lakosky took a 120 yard shot with his bow at a sheep. Still have a fast reaction time.

Tyler Jordan took a shot at one at 55 yards and missed and the deer had no reaction to it. Bill shot the buck at 45 yards a few days later..

But now I'm sure you'll say they're professionals.. What makes them professional? The fact they have sponsors is all the difference I see

Last edited by iayotehunter; 11-27-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

For some people, shooting 60yrds is "beyond their ability," for some people, shooting 60yrds is "stretching their ability." For some people, shooting 60yrds is "well within their ability".

As someone who has taken multiple deer at 50-75yrds in the last 20yrs, it's really not as "high risk" as some might have you think, if you can shoot well. There are plenty of folks that shoot much better than I (if they gave out "participant" ribbons at 3D and IBO indoors, Lord knows I'd have a few - but instead they send ya home with nothing), but I can bundle arrows at 40yrds. If a guy puts up palm sized groups at 20yrds, he has no business shooting 30yrds. If a guy puts up palm sized groups at 80yrds, and his flight time is reasonable to ensure accuracy, there's really no reason NOT to fill your freezer.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:45 PM
Spike

you guys must be shooting some very loud bows. I've shot deer at 25 yards and they just stood there looking at me as the arrow went thru em, they never heard a thing. With that said, longest shot was 52yds and it was a cow elk, she never heard a thing either as the arrow flew right thru. I practice to 80 so 50 to 60 is no big deal.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by iayotehunter
Lee Lakosky took a 120 yard shot with his bow at a sheep. Still have a fast reaction time.

Tyler Jordan took a shot at one at 55 yards and missed and the deer had no reaction to it. Bill shot the buck at 45 yards a few days later..

But now I'm sure you'll say they're professionals.. What makes them professional? The fact they have sponsors is all the difference I see
Yep, and that shot Lee took was damn stupid, especially to show on TV! Yep, Tyler also missed at 55! Anyway, that certainly shows they were shooting further than they should have like many of us feel too many people do with a bow or gun. It seems one member here feels that he's quite the expert on 60 yard shots at deer when he says he actually hasn't shot one at more than 20 yards! Just because you can shoot tight groups on a target doesn't mean you can do it on a living animal that may move at any second whether it's these long shots with a bow or a gun. What is happening in this day and age with all this fancy bow and gun equipment IMHO is that it's taking the hunting right out of the sport when a person feels the need to shoot an animal in the next time zone!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-02-2014 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.