Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Worst bow season ever >

Worst bow season ever

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Worst bow season ever

Old 11-14-2014, 12:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Worst bow season ever

This is the worst bow season I have ever had .. The weather has sucked. its goes from to warm, windy as hell, full moon, or I was just to busy to go out that day. Deer are only showing up on camera at night. Well maybe two or three times they showed up during the daylight. Now we have a little snow on the ground this morning, so lets hope this last day of bow season lets me see something other than squirrels.. I feel this season has been a big waste of time..
Old 11-14-2014, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

At least you didn't fall 22 feet after your tree stand broke. I did manage to take a few deer though so I guess everything evened out.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ManofTheFall
At least you didn't fall 22 feet after your tree stand broke. I did manage to take a few deer though so I guess everything evened out.
LOL. Touche.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its been a good year here. I haven't gotten the job done yet but I certainly can't blame the conditions.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

I guarantee my season has been way worse. Bowstring broke on my heli-m, so I had to move to a back up bow.. Went to one of my stands early before season to find out a kid was hunting it during youth season.. Slept in on two mornings all season and the buck I am after was under my stand in daylight both times. November comes around and I was saving a property for the rut so I hadn't been in there I get out of my truck and am met by guys from Texas hunting the property. 4 guys on 10 acres of timber I couldn't even hunt let alone it's private and I have hunted it for 5 years.. Then have had houses being built in the main timber I hunt one right in middle of a bedding area.. Let alone I have seen 3 shooters all year and I have hunted almost everyday of the season
Old 11-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's been both good and not-so-good here. Weather has been better than normal, but often with wind ... like it is today. I've shot 4 arrows and have 4 does in the freezer, but haven't had any of the bucks I'm after allow a shot. I've had plenty of immature bucks of 7 points and under, and does, offer shots now that I'm holding out for the big boys ... especially the big 10 point I named "Rack Star." However, today I watched the nighbor's dogs trampling all over my property which pretty much eliminates it for a bit and the neighbor on the other side has heavy equipment out in the middle of where the deer cross which will prevent them from returning. My best spot away from here currently has the landowner's son GUN hunting the place - even though it's NOT gun season yet! I was surrounded by deer (lots of grunting) the night before and nearly got a shot at a nice 8 point that was chasing does. I HAD planned to return there until I found out he was planning to hunt there for the next couple days. He'll walk around the woods with a gun, no camo, no scent control, no nothing - just scaring deer and possibly getting a shot at one of the ones I've been targeting and waiting for them to get in bow range. The only other place has no good place to hang a stand with this wind direction. I tried that yesterday and proved my point. So ... it's cold and the rut is in full swing, but it's pretty windy and my best areas are currently unhuntable.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ManofTheFall
Why weren't you wearing a harness? Please don't be a statistic. I'm sure people are counting on you to come home.
As for the deer season. I haven't got one yet either but I've see 7 buck and 4 doe (hunting public land). 2 of the buck weren't shooters and they were the ones that came in really close. I did have a shooter coming in on Wednesday morning but the darn wind shifted and he caught my scent and turned tail.
Tomorrow's the last day so I will be out hoping for the best. The temps dropped into the 20s at nights so that may help.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why where you not wearing a harness? especially that high in the air..
I have only seen one deer that I could have shot, but he was to small.. I have not seen any sign of the rut.. Bow season is now over... I guess a bad season is going to happen from time to time.. I guess it would be different if I was seeing deer and just choosing not to shoot them, but that hasn't been the case, I haven't seen dog squeeze.. I have 30 acres to my self.
I have some ass wipe on the adjacent property put a stand up 25 yards from mine. He has 60 acres to hunt on and he put a stand right next to mine, not very sportsman like in my opinion.....
Old 11-15-2014, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been checking the harnesses out and the HS Safety System seems pretty good. Any opinions?
Old 11-15-2014, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by V8Ranger
This is the worst bow season I have ever had .. The weather has sucked. its goes from to warm, windy as hell, full moon, or I was just to busy to go out that day. Deer are only showing up on camera at night. Well maybe two or three times they showed up during the daylight. Now we have a little snow on the ground this morning, so lets hope this last day of bow season lets me see something other than squirrels.. I feel this season has been a big waste of time..

I wasn't able to get out until 10/31 and never got a shot; given the weather here in NY during October- either 70's or windy/rainy, I don't feel I missed too much!

That sure changed this week though; wow it's cold suddenly, a 17 degree windchill today when Tues was 65!! It did have the deer moving though.

The guys I know who were out mentioned reduced sightings from other years.
I think the sheer number/availability of acorns has had the deer pretty scattered and imagine their patterns will tighten up as the season progresses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.