Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Packs

Old 10-14-2014, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Ive used those packs as well and for the money Ive been very satisfied.

Here is a little thing to look at if your interested. Midway USA is the site I usually use.

They have real good sales and email me their sales. That Tenzing 1140 pack is regular price $120. They had them for half off. Now $60 to me is still quite a lot for a pack so what I did(and I do this all the time) I bought 2 of them for $120...When they arrived I put 1 on ebay and it went for $100. At the end of the day I have $20 in the pack.
Haha! Thats pretty slick. I would never have thought of that.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buckman11
Haha! Thats pretty slick. I would never have thought of that.
I do it all the time. I have to many expensive hobbies so I have to find a way to fund them without getting a divorce.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport
I do it all the time. I have to many expensive hobbies so I have to find a way to fund them without getting a divorce.
i only have one expensive hobby " deer hunting" and thankfully my wife shares it with me..

I use to have a couple drag cars which was one of the things that led to my first marriage ending in divorce..
Old 10-14-2014, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ojibwa
i only have one expensive hobby " deer hunting" and thankfully my wife shares it with me..

I use to have a couple drag cars which was one of the things that led to my first marriage ending in divorce..
It don't take long for maintenance cost to add up. The hunting is just me for now. My daughter (5) will be starting next year but we all fish and we have a camp spot over the summer on a lake. I find myself maintaining a 4 wheeler,camper,fishing boat,golf cart,lawn mowers(we have several acres of grass), float trip every year,several weekend trout fishing trips, a trip to Ontario fishing, plus get in a family vacation(Disney world this year)

It just keeps adding up.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I finally found a good hunting pack - or rather it found me. I stopped in at the local Dick's and was looking through their packs to see what options they had and I ran across the Field & Stream brand gear. They had lumbar packs with suspension and I noticed they had one left of what appeared to be last year's model, and it was marked down. The new ones were $59, but they had this one marked down to $39. It looked like a nice pack, so I figured I'd take it, but when the cashier rings it up, it rings up like 50 cents higher than it was marked. I start to protest, but I think to myself 50 cents is no big deal. The cashier asks me if there was a problem, so I tell her, and she proceeds to manually change the price to $25.99. Apparently, the store has had some issues with price tags being incorrect or misleading, so the sales associates were told to just give a discount if the customer says anything. Anyway, walking out of there with what used to be a $60 pack for less than $30 felt pretty good. The model of the pack is the "Trail Guide." I think the new model is called the "Sawtooth."

Hunting Packs-image-1-.jpg

Hunting Packs-image-3-.jpg

Hunting Packs-image-4-.jpg

Hunting Packs-image-5-.jpg

Anyway, I think I got a pretty sweet deal. The stuff in it isn't what I'll be carrying to the field, but it gives you an idea of relative size. If you haven't taken a look at Field and Stream brand gear, you should check it out. It seems to be pretty good quality and the fit & finish is pretty nice. I've never been too fond of Dick's, but I still seem to find a good deal there every now and then...Which is, sadly, more than I can say for the Gander Mountain that opened across the road.