Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Early season doe call >

Early season doe call

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Early season doe call

Old 09-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default Early season doe call

Anyone ever tried using a fawn bawl/ distress call during early bow season? What kind of success have you had and how often do you call?
Old 09-23-2014, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, but since the does run off their fawns before they go into estrous, it might be wasting time. But you never know until you try.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

I've killed a few does using one. Most deer that come to it are going to be does and they usually show up within a minute of calling. I use one of the can type calls and just turn it over once, wait 5-10 seconds, then do it again. Sometimes some younger bucks come to it as well. Sometimes some really light rattling can bring in a curious buck too.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

I've used it when I had a doe in sight but out of range. It got her attention and had her checking the area out. So I supposed it worked. Not a regular method I use though.
-Jake
Old 09-24-2014, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

generally don't use one the doe's tend to come in on high alert and can be a tad jumpy..
Old 09-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

the only reason im asking is because im a hunting a doe management area, it was kinda like a lottery type deal. I have a month to fill a tag.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

personally I would ditch the call and just find the areas of the freshest droppings & tracks and hang tight, I hunt managment areas also that is what works for me gotta figure how many other people using calls and are they using right that could totally blow your hunt in a lottery area and if its too crowded stick to the sides of the roads or property lines