Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

thicket

Old 09-15-2014, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default thicket

How do you guys carry your bows through the thicket on your way to your stand or blind?

Bow sling? if so can you recommend a good one I have a long hike through a lot of thickets'

Thanks in advance
Old 09-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

I carry mine in hand. I feel like its more maneuverable and less likely to get snagged on brush in my hands than on a sling. Not to mention, if I have legal shooting light, I carry with an arrow nocked - just in case.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

I always clear a path for myself to get through so you aren't fighting brush and thickets. But before I started doing that if it was a longer walk I have a Primo's bow sling that I really like or if it was a short walk I would just carry it. If you can clear yourself a path makes it easier for you to get in and out and much quieter in most situations.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

I never carry a bow with an arrow nocked. What if you trip run broadhead in your leg or worse. I just carry my bow in my hand up against my chest just so it don't get tangled.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bbj270
I never carry a bow with an arrow nocked. What if you trip run broadhead in your leg or worse. I just carry my bow in my hand up against my chest just so it don't get tangled.
I like to live dangerously. Sometimes I run with scissors, just for the fun of it.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

In my hand. Up against my chest if it gets real thick. I dont trust bow slings.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cjclemens
I like to live dangerously. Sometimes I run with scissors, just for the fun of it.

LMAO, now that is funny!
Old 09-17-2014, 07:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by theshark
How do you guys carry your bows through the thicket on your way to your stand or blind?

Bow sling? if so can you recommend a good one I have a long hike through a lot of thickets'

Thanks in advance
A primos bow sling, i would recommend. The sling not only protect your cams, but protects your strings also.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

I guess I better stop still hunting them then...... I carry mine in my hand, able to manuever around things better that way, Avoid brush that could mess up my bow, and keep quiter. It can be a pain to carry if you're packing a stand, backpack, climbing sticks, etc. But I've found in my hand is the best and safest spot for my bow. While hunting on the ground I carry less gear, and that makes carrying the bow much easier.
-Jake
Old 09-24-2014, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Tell that to the guys out west who hunt by spot & stalk.