Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stupid glasses ! >

Stupid glasses !

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stupid glasses !

Old 10-07-2003, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stupid glasses !

This past summer I needed to get a pair of eyeglasses. I had been having problems with seeing things in the distance. The glasses were great for things such as driving however I' ve found them to be a PITA while hunting. I had the sun setting at my back tonight while in my stand. Anytime I get the sun over my shoulder I get glare off the glasses which hinder my view. However with the way the wind was blowing this was the best stand selection I could get. I was watching 3 does feeding on some shrubs and realized that even if they were close enough for a shot I wouldn' t be able to take it. The glare was so bright I really had to strain to stay focused on the does. There was no way I' d have been able to see them through my peep. I can' t use contacts and Lasiks is out of my price range at the moment. Maybe I can get a pair of those blinders they use on race horses !
Old 10-07-2003, 09:36 PM

Default RE: Stupid glasses !

Maybe I can get a pair of those blinders they use on race horses
Actually, that' s not a bad idea. You can cut some cardboard into triangular shaped pieces and feed them over the ear pieces up to the sides of the lenses (wide end nearest the lenses). This will drastically reduce your peripheral vision, but it should also cut the light from getting to the lenses from the sides.

My biggest problem with glasses is that the nose piece always ends up between my eye and my peep sight.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is something else to think about.... Wearing glasses in cold weather is a pain! I know it' s impossible to wear a face mask cause my breath will fog them up quicker than anything.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:49 PM

lol JK, I dont know about the " blinders" , seems like they would be annoying and would probably interfere with either shooting or hearing. What kind of hat do you wear? I learned a long time ago that baseball caps are very poor hunting hats. A full brim hat like a " Jones style" or perhaps a " Boonie" or " Outback" (and dont dismiss a full on " cowboy" hat) will offer much better performance in the outdoors. I prefer a 2.5" brim similar to the Outback style known as the " Plantation Hat" from McAlister, but I have many more. You can shape them and turn the rear down slightly to block the light behind you that you mentioned. I personally think they offer better concealment, protection from weather and what the heck... just plain more " stylin and profilin" ! I am frequently moving, canting and reshaping my hat to protect my face and eyes from direct sun. Its simple physics that you can see better when your eyes are in shadows as you look out into a brightly lit area. These hats can also be used to knock the wind out of your eyes. Huntin in the rain is much easier as well with such hats. No more noisy rainsuit hoods that eliminate your hearing and I ESPECIALLY love no more water running down the back of my neck and UNDER my waterproof coats!

www.mcalistercompany.com

Pimpin aint easy [8D]
RA

Old 10-07-2003, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

On those bright sunny days I wear my perscription sunnies that have the shaded lenses in the sides.
I leave them on till just about sunset then put my normal glasses back on for that last 30 minutes.

But like Red said a good brimmed hat will do the job too.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate the feedback. I had been looking into one of the full brimmed hats. I was concerned that I' d have a problem with the brim interfering with the string when I drew back my bow. I' ll have to give it a try and see how it works out. Thanks again.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:07 AM

Try a Bucket style hat like Gilligan from Gilligan' s Island. Brim is very pliable and can be shaped to block the sun and not screw up you draw. It can be bent up in front to stay our of your draw and down on the backand side to block sun from behind. Go to local store and check them out. Also some can be reversable camo on one side orange on the other so if you are required to wear it to/from the stand you are covered.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:48 AM

Jeramy thats why I like a hat like the " Plantation" it has a shorter brim than a full on cowboy hat. I have no problem drawing with my hat, but I have a boonie that has a full cowboy hat type brim (I believe most are 3-3.5" brims) and I can only use it for gunhunting.

Good luck,
RA
Old 10-08-2003, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

I' ve never had a problem with glare, but fogging bugs the hell out of me! I have to wear my facemask down under my nose and breathe out of my mouth when I' m hunting cold weather.

Other than that I' m okay with them. They definitely improved my deer sightnings.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Uggg ... I forgot about fogging in the cold weather. Is there any type of anti-fog product available ?

Quick Reply: Stupid glasses !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.