Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does the acceptable margin of error increase as the inches of the RACK increase??? >

Does the acceptable margin of error increase as the inches of the RACK increase???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does the acceptable margin of error increase as the inches of the RACK increase???

Old 10-07-2003, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default Does the acceptable margin of error increase as the inches of the RACK increase???

Honestly now fellas...I know some saintly ones will maintain there holiness but I' m just curious. Do you or would you take a less than marginal shot on a monster buck rather than on a lesser buck or a doe? Does a bigger buck increase the chances you take when you release the arrow? Is a facing towards, quartering to, facing away texas heart shot, a neck shot, a head shot , or an outrageously long distance shot fair game if the daddy of all rabbits enters your setup? Think about it before responding...put yourself in the situation. Actually picture yourself in your favorite stand and then imagine your dream buck in all it' s glory and how he would look on your wall, and then answer the question...
Old 10-07-2003, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does the acceptable margin of error increase as the inches of the RACK increase???

NO NO NO NO
Time of season, size of rack, buck or doe.
I' m not claiming to be a saint, but that is one thing that I don' t push. I don' t have a need to kill one that bad.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Does the acceptable margin of error increase as the inches of the RACK increase???

I' ve thought about and my answer is no. Honest answer with no bull poop attached.

BTW, I' ve been there and didn' t let loose.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would honestly say no for me, but I know many people that say yes to it.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:43 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Been there, done that.

The first time I passed up the shot. He trotted away never to be seen again. No regrets on my part.

The second time, a buck was 3 yards from the base of my tree facing me. I didn' t shoot. He eventually offered a good angle and took a broadhead through the chest. 70 yards later he was down for good. Still no regrets.

So no, antler size does not dictate proper shot selection for me.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

Ok...let me be the first one to step up to the plate and admit that I have done this but allow me to follow that up with saying that I' ll never do it again. Not recovering a monster buck is 1000 times worse than having to let the shot pass because it is indeed marginal. The point of my post was partly generated by discussions on the board right now and I want to spare folks the pain I unfortunately experienced in the past....don' t do it, let it go, it' s not worth it. But also, prepare yourself for it and think it through.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:50 PM

If it were the last day of season, two minutes left in legal hunting hours and it were a record buck.........I would....hope he makes it through the winter[&:].
Old 10-07-2003, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

I guess the true test of a bowhunters ethics would be tried in this situation.

As I sit here in my office and think about it I can say I would pass anything but a high percentage shot. I have passed up some shots in the past that makes me think I could do it again but we all know theres a big difference between sitting in a office chair and sitting in a treestand.
I think one problem I would face in this situation would be rushing a shot without considering all of the factors that I would consider on a lesser deer.
I guess the honest answer for me would have to be......." I sure hope I would not shoot"
Thanks for bringing up this subject, just thinking about it ahead of time may make it a little easier to deal with if it happens.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

No I wouldn' t. Biggest buck I' ve ever seen in the woods...35yds...wide open...he was very nervous. I could have taken the shot...and maybe I' d have gotten him. But based on his body language, I let him walk. It was tough, but I' d do it again. I don' t know for sure how big he was, but he was definitely 130" + and where I am, that' s a heck of a buck with a bow.
Wolfen you are right...losing any deer sucks, I could imagine how it would feel losing a monster. Heck I still feel the pain of not getting a shot at some of the deer I' ve seen.

Wimp...you are right my friend, good choice of words.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:11 PM

My ethics tell me it doesn' t. But how much is judgement clouded by antlers? I' ve never been in that situation and hope I would do what I said in the first statement.
B

Quick Reply: Does the acceptable margin of error increase as the inches of the RACK increase???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.