Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Poll:  Other shot? >

Poll: Other shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Poll: Other shot?

Old 10-03-2003, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Poll: Other shot?

Me either. Just not worth it. Never take a shot that you have to hope for a kill.

Doesn' t it make you wonder when you watch all those TV shows when a person takes a real iffy shot and then says, " yes good hit" . So many of those shots that I see being made on TV, I' d be saying to myself " What the hell did you just take that shot for Jack A**???" .

The only shot other than a quartering away and broadside that I would take would be if the deer was directly below me in which case I would shoot it right between the shoulder blades
John, What would your reasoning be on that shot?
Old 10-03-2003, 12:21 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-03-2003, 12:48 PM

Actually, according to my Dad, back in the day, 1960' s and 1970' s when all archers around here used poison, the rump shot was the quickest killer. I assume that is so b/c of the major artery running through the hind quarters.

Thankfully, bowhunting ethics have come along way since then. I' ve got some old books by chuck adams that also promote the rump shot. I personnaly would never take the shot, but it can be deadly.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:33 PM

Never Heard of the rump shot myself...what do you aim for the brown eye or what??
Old 10-03-2003, 04:47 PM

i wouldnt hessitate the rump shot witha a gun, but it could make for a long chase with a bow......although...i dont think id run very far with arrow in my corn hole.....
Old 10-03-2003, 05:58 PM

Don' t they call that," the Texas heart shot" ,,,,[]
Old 10-03-2003, 06:23 PM

Broadside, yes

Quartering away, yes

Quartering towards, only very close shots like out to 10 yards

Facing directly away, only if it' s very close and I' m high enough to shoot down on the spine lungs and heart but even then, usually not.

Facing directly towards me: have before at 12 feet, worked great. Tried once again at 20 feet on a pig. hit 2 inches off and only got front arm and guts.Will never do it again. Terget is way too small. That is also a gut shot.

And when shooting at a trophy, nothing but the best; broadside or slightly quartering away, & preferably arm forward. I know some people will take risky shots for trophys but I' m the opposite.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Besides broadside or quartering away?

Slight quartering towards inside 20 yards or directly below. The kill zone directly below on a deer is actually slightly bigger than broadside and when you poke your arrow through the bottom of the chest cavity Stevie Wonder could follow the blood trail.

IMO anyone who intentionaly tries any type of hind quarter shot needs to pull their cranium from their anus!
Old 10-03-2003, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

At 20yrds I would shoot one walking straight towards me. That is a pretty good shot. But nothing more then 20yrds or closer.
Old 10-04-2003, 03:18 AM

I think all you guys who are endorsing a straight on shot are way off the mark. The deer is looking directly at you for one. For two, the margin of error is so slight it just isn' t worth it. Period. You might be able to pull this off at ten feet, but twenty yards. Give me a break. It' s an arrow not a .308 slug. Sometimes it makes me wonder where people come up with this stuff? How about NO frontal shots at all guys. NONE!! Same for the rump shot. NEVER! There are newbies that read this BBS and I for one don' t want them going away thinking these iffy shots are acceptable and responsible. Heck, compared to the frontal shot, the straight down shot is way better and that is a tough one too with the awkward angle the archer must be in to make the shot. At least the deer isn' t eyeballing you and the target is larger. Bowfanatic is correct about the Ray Charles...Stevie Wonder blood trail though.

Quick Reply: Poll: Other shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.