Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Another Doe Down For The Freezer!!!!! >

Another Doe Down For The Freezer!!!!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another Doe Down For The Freezer!!!!!

Old 01-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another Doe Down For The Freezer!!!!!

I finally put another doe down for the freezer. I shot it at last light this evening (Friday). It was freezing out there. I actually started getting down and was half way down the ladder when I saw 3 does coming about 40 yards away. I climbed back slowly up into the stand thinking there was no way I would get a shot. They actually stopped and were looking at me as I was climbing back up. I sat down and brought my bow up and hooked on my release just in case. The two fawns came in stomping there feet the whole way and the big doe hung back a bit. Light was fading fast. The big doe started coming closer, high stepping the whole way in and looking my way so I couldn't draw. She finally turned and started walking away stomping her feet the whole way. She was at 20 yards and I put my pin on her and let it fly. She took off like a bolt of lightning and I heard her crash about 60 yards away. I immediately got down and retrieved my arrow which was soaked with blood from tip to tip. It was so cold that all the blood on the arrow was completely frozen only about 1 minute after the shot. I tracked her down and gutted her. I was only about 200 yards away from my car and the drag was all down hill on the snow covered ground so it was an easy drag. But, my right hand was frozen solid by the time I got to my car. My hand hurt so bad it felt like it was going to explode. Anyone have any ideas on how to avoid this. It is over three hours later and my finger tips still ache. I didn't get any pics tonight but I will in the morning before I take her to be processed.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! Try a Glens deer Handle. You can drag them out very easy while still wearing gloves and worry about cramping with awkward grips. You can make something similar with PVC pipe but I would spend the $13 and buy one from the company. THey are built sturdy and make it a lot easier to drag out of the woods. I just bought one this year and was amazed on how much easier it made drags out.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here are a couple pics. Sorry for the staging but I couldn't get any out in the field.
Attached Thumbnails Another Doe Down For The Freezer!!!!!-doe20141.jpg   Another Doe Down For The Freezer!!!!!-doe20142.jpg  
Old 01-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ManofTheFall
I finally put another doe down for the freezer. I shot it at last light this evening (Friday). It was freezing out there. I actually started getting down and was half way down the ladder when I saw 3 does coming about 40 yards away. I climbed back slowly up into the stand thinking there was no way I would get a shot. They actually stopped and were looking at me as I was climbing back up. I sat down and brought my bow up and hooked on my release just in case. The two fawns came in stomping there feet the whole way and the big doe hung back a bit. Light was fading fast. The big doe started coming closer, high stepping the whole way in and looking my way so I couldn't draw. She finally turned and started walking away stomping her feet the whole way. She was at 20 yards and I put my pin on her and let it fly. She took off like a bolt of lightning and I heard her crash about 60 yards away. I immediately got down and retrieved my arrow which was soaked with blood from tip to tip. It was so cold that all the blood on the arrow was completely frozen only about 1 minute after the shot. I tracked her down and gutted her. I was only about 200 yards away from my car and the drag was all down hill on the snow covered ground so it was an easy drag. But, my right hand was frozen solid by the time I got to my car. My hand hurt so bad it felt like it was going to explode. Anyone have any ideas on how to avoid this. It is over three hours later and my finger tips still ache. I didn't get any pics tonight but I will in the morning before I take her to be processed.
Congrats on the deer!!! Idea for the drag. I take my safety harness and add a caribiner to it and a small length of rope. I take the harness tree strap and run it out to the deer. Add caribiner with rope and tie head and front feet together after gutting. Drag deer out with hands in pockets!!!!!!! Pulls on entire body and not just one arm.