Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
tweaking archery area in my woods... >

tweaking archery area in my woods...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tweaking archery area in my woods...

Old 12-29-2013, 05:03 AM
Spike

Default tweaking archery area in my woods...

So, I bought this place a few years ago. I'm tweaking my woods to be a fun archery target area. Got a few stationary targets in place. Going to put a few 3D's out. Any suggestions on how best to set this up? I want it to be a series of targets that are challenging to do. Have some friends over & shoot with me, etc. It's about 3 acres, by a canal & river.
thanks for the input.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out some of the 3D Utube videos. Should give you a good idea of how other people set things up.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on the layout and topography of your property, but when you lay out your "archery path", look at making a hairpin, with bends around topography so you can separate yourself between shooting areas. The hairpin "out and back" style should let you shoot at the targets from either side, so your path might have twice the shot opportunities with the same number of targets. Less capital investment, more fun shooting.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:41 AM
Spike

Thanks for your input. Very helpful. I'm excited to keep working on this project. Seems like there are so many ways to do this. Needed some input from some folks who have done this. Much appreciated!!
Old 12-30-2013, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't done what you're doing, but I have laid out 3D courses. The number 1 item to consider is SAFETY. When setting the targets and walking path, consider the worse possible shot you can on each target, a bad miss or deflection, where does the arrow go? then keep walking paths and other targets away from there.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH View Post
I haven't done what you're doing, but I have laid out 3D courses. The number 1 item to consider is SAFETY. When setting the targets and walking path, consider the worse possible shot you can on each target, a bad miss or deflection, where does the arrow go? then keep walking paths and other targets away from there.
great input! you're right about the safety thing. since this is on my property. I don't want anyone to be hurt in any way. thanks!