Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

6X6 Bull

Old 10-01-2003, 04:49 PM

Default 6X6 Bull

On September 25th I harvested my fisrt Bull Elk, a nice 6X6 in ID.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 6X6 Bull

Very Nice! ~ Ben
Old 10-01-2003, 05:17 PM

congrats !! looks great , how about the story?
Old 10-01-2003, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

nie bull!---congrats.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go and a real dandy!! Nice pic as well, congrats!!
Old 10-01-2003, 11:13 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats. Great picture. I got my first Bull this year too.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

[X(]

congrat' s.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrates on the nice bull
Old 10-02-2003, 07:35 AM

WI buck, there' s not a lot to tell. First off it was a great hunt. I was a bit concerned as the hunt approached because the weather was extremely warm, daytime highs around 78* and nighttime lows to 20* .
The hunt took place in ID management area 33, near Miller MT. A 17-mile drive in from the blacktop road and another 3.5 hours horse back from the trailhead to camp.
The first day started early with gathering the horse, packing and travel. We were in camp by about 1pm. Once there I shot my bow to ensure every thing was still in place and we were off to the hunt.
Now I spend 1 1/2 hours a day 5 to 6 days a week working out to stay in shape and be prepared for these hunts but nothing prepares a flatlander from WI for the workout at 7800 ft and IDs steep slopes. We put on a lot of miles and got back to camp about 10:30 PM with out seeing any Elk. A few Bears and Mules but not even a cow. We glassed from the tops then worked the bottom of the drainage seeing sign, tracks and clear wallows but no recent activity.
A late dinner and off to the sleeping bag. Up at 4:30AM which came in a blink of an eye or so it seemed.
After taking care of the horses and feeding ourselves we set out for the day. An hour or so in the dark along the trail then off trail for another half-hour. We worked the tops bulging and glassing then hit the bottoms. We heard nothing but started to see fresh sign.
About 6:30PM we heard a bugle about 200 yards above and ahead of us. We worked in closer, the wind was in our favor and with only cow calls we got close enough to set up. It did not take long for the Bull, a rag horn to show himself to me at about 80 yard. Doug could not see him and called him in closer where I got a clear look at him but he circled around a got wind of Doug. That was all it took and he slid off down the drainage.
While we are working this Bull we hear two more Bulls on the opposite slope of the drainage bulging. This is right out of some Elk video and Im in hunter heaven.
The wind is not working for us so we beat feet across the stream and make the best set up we can as fast as we can. We are going to be loosing light this deep down the slope in short order.
As we were moving Doug gave one weak bugle and as soon as we set up he started cow calling with a couple of different calls. It was as if there were three different cows or calves in the area. I could hear the Bull walking before I could see it. It was walking directly toward Doug, who was well concealed. The Bull finally stops in an opening about 10 yards infront of Doug and 33yards from me, broadside. Im at full draw and have my 30-yard pin on the top of his lungs when I release.
The Tracer nock is glowing like a laser light as it bolts towards the Bull only to deflect and angle what appear to be right over the Bulls back. My heart sinks and without thought I nock another arrow. The Bull turns around as if to see " what in Heck was all that" but stands there an offers me a second shot. Im already thanking God for this experience as I draw my bow and release. A laser light trails and complete pass through. The Bull charges off across the stream and up a slope and out of sight.
With the sun setting in my face we find the Bull. Im the happiest guy in all of ID if not the USA.
Well we are two hours from the horses and after the work is done, the hike to the horses behind us it' s a long ride in the dark back to camp. I sit back at 12:30am in the cook tent knowing that my hunt is over but will never be forgotten.
With the high daytime temps we hit the trail at 5AM with the packhorse to recover the meat. Man is my butt sore, yet I could careless. My guide Doug Youren did an excellent job. It was just Doug and myself in camp. He took care of the horses, did the lions share of the cooking and work. I helped out when I could with fetching water and other minor chores but Doug worked hard and long for me. I can not thank him enough for making this a wonderful hunt.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:59 AM

Sounds like you had a great time, thanks for sharing.

Nice bull. You should feel very proud.

Quick Reply: 6X6 Bull

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.