Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
I love Bowhunting >

I love Bowhunting

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I love Bowhunting

Old 12-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default I love Bowhunting

I have been hunting for only 5 years. I started hunting when I moved to Maine. Theres an average of 20,000 +/- deer shot a season including bow and muzzleloader. I started bow hunting 3 seasons ago. I absolutely love it. I haven't shot one yet, but it seems like every season I am learning a lot and getting close. I still have 2 more days left. Even though I haven't shot one with my bow I still really enjoy shooting bow and being in the woods. Today I tried a spot and stalk with the low temps and high winds I almost got a doe. If I only had five more seconds before she detected me, lol.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Nice dude! Good to hear how much you are enjoying it. Keep at it and your deer will come soon. Nothing like the feeling of drawing your bow on a deer at close range!
Old 12-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you in a stand/blind? spot and stalk is less likely to get a kill. I prefer deer blind or tree/ladder/climber stand. Ive popped a couple out of the climber and most others out of blind or popup blind.

Just remember move as little as possible and when you get a deer in range draw when the deer's line of sight is blocked by a tree. Once you are at full draw you can make loud MEEEH to get it stop broadside is best, or quartering away. If broadside shoot just above the elbow. If quartering away aim towards the opposite front leg and take a deep breath slowly squeeze the release.

Good luck and happy hunting!
Old 12-19-2013, 01:25 AM
Spike

Default Bowhunting

Great, i think you are having good skills and knowledge about hunting and you enjoy it. I also like bowhunting as compare to firearms hunting.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed a couple by spot & stalk. The last one I got took me 3 hours to cover about 100 yards to get in range. She was bedded and I got within 25' and she never knew I was there. It's definitely the cat's meow of hunting. One thing to remember to do. Look at the ground and find a snail. If you are going faster than the snail then you need to slowdown. LOL.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by croc2116
I have been hunting for only 5 years. I started hunting when I moved to Maine. Theres an average of 20,000 +/- deer shot a season including bow and muzzleloader. I started bow hunting 3 seasons ago. I absolutely love it. I haven't shot one yet, but it seems like every season I am learning a lot and getting close. I still have 2 more days left. Even though I haven't shot one with my bow I still really enjoy shooting bow and being in the woods. Today I tried a spot and stalk with the low temps and high winds I almost got a doe. If I only had five more seconds before she detected me, lol.
Awesome!!! I love bowhunting too, it just takes a lot of time. Unfortunately right now I don't have a lot of extra time to do it .

Keep at it. Most of the time I've had success bowhunting in stand or blinds, but sometimes it is worthwhile to still hunt or spot & stalk. I've never gotten a deer with this method via bowhunting, but I have gotten 2 turkeys doing this....
Old 12-26-2013, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love the positive attitude! That's what it takes to be successful. Confidence is such a critical part of bow hunting. Stay confident my friend! Don't give up, continue to push yourself.

I like your willingness to try new things...hopefully that will develop into a desire to try new adventures. Treestands are not always possible in extreme environments. Learning to spot and stalk from the ground, now, will put you in a better position for success later. I can always tell when an eastern hunter comes west. They always flounder when the hunt hits the ground and the game does not follow a set pattern.

HAVE FUN! Don't let anyone tell you. "You can't!"