Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Crimson Talons ILLEGAL in PA! >

Crimson Talons ILLEGAL in PA!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crimson Talons ILLEGAL in PA!

Old 10-01-2003, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Crimson Talons ILLEGAL in PA!

Release #90-03
Oct. 1, 2003
For Information Contact:
Jerry Feaser
717-705-6541 (ext. 3106)
[email protected]

The following news release contains two articles:

1) BRADYS LAKE ACCESS ROAD OPENS IN TIME FOR ARCHERY SEASON
2) GAME COMMISSION ISSUES ARCHERY SEASON ADVISORIES

GAME COMMISSION ISSUES ARCHERY SEASON ADVISORIES
HARRISBURG - The Pennsylvania Game Commission today issued three important advisories to bowhunters heading afield for the upcoming archery deer season, which begins this Saturday, Oct. 4.

" These advisories are intended primarily to reduce confusion some hunters currently have about existing fluorescent orange regulations and a new broadhead on the market that has been determined to be unlawful by a panel of archery experts and Game Commission personnel," said Game Commission Executive Director Vern Ross. " In addition, the agency also is reminding hunters to report any deer they harvest that have been tagged as part of the agency' s ongoing deer research projects."

Ross stressed that the proposed fluorescent orange regulations that will be considered by the Board of Game Commissioners are not slated to take effect until the 2004-2005 seasons, if approved on Oct. 7. Fluorescent orange regulations have not changed from last year to this year, and the current regulations are outlined on pages 80 and 81 of the 2003-2004 Digest of Pennsylvania Hunting and Trapping Regulations, which is provided to each license buyer.

The Game Commission also is reminding bowhunters that regulations require all broadheads to have an outside diameter of at least 7/8th-inch with no less than two cutting edges. The cutting edges must be in the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface. This definition makes a brand of broadheads known as " Crimson Talon Broadheads" unlawful.

The broadheads - relatively new on the market - incorporate a design that includes curved blades that reportedly help stabilize arrow flight.

" The problem is that Crimson Talon Broadheads don' t have cutting edges in the same plane throughout the length of the blade," noted Mike Dubaich, Bureau of Law Enforcement director. " We understand that several hunters have bought these broadheads. However, they are not legal to use in Pennsylvania."

On a final note, the Game Commission is asking hunters for their cooperation in reporting tagged bucks currently being monitored in the agency' s ongoing buck field research. Over the last two years, nearly 1,200 deer have been marked or tagged in Armstrong and Centre counties.

" While hunters may legally take deer tagged or marked during the hunting seasons, we encourage hunters to report the harvest of study deer so researchers can record the deer' s mortality and improve the study' s reliability," noted Dr. Christopher Rosenberry, Game Commission wildlife biologist. " Mortalities caused by hunting are an important part of the information we are trying to collect as part of this study.

" Study bucks have ear tag transmitters, neck collars with transmitters, and plastic ear tags. If a hunter harvests a buck with any identification on it, he or she should contact the Game Commission at the telephone numbers listed on the transmitter."

In addition, Rosenberry noted, large numbers of does were tagged with numbered plastic ear tags during the field research. Hunters also are encouraged to report any tagged antlerless deer they harvest. Contact information is listed on the ear tags.
If anyone from PA is shooting these heas I feel for you. The PGC announced this today. I didn' t get this directly from their site, but it was posted on another board just as you read it(minus the 1st article that has no worht here).
Old 10-01-2003, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crimson Talons ILLEGAL in PA!

Yea that sucks if u have those. I will be shooting the montec G5s, they fly true and are durable , so well see how they work. ONLY 2 1/2 more days!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Interesting, I as well passed that info on...and thanks, although I' m still using Muzzy and Snypers.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:06 PM

I am with ya doublelung, counting them down here too
muzzy 4 blade 100gr for me
Old 10-01-2003, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorr Rob, I didn' t see your post. It doesn' t affect my T-heads or Shockwaves!
Old 10-01-2003, 01:28 PM

I am not positive because I never really read the regs. in depth on broadheads....but I think that is in the book that is issued to us when we buy our licenses. I too think that it is a load of crap that they are just letting us know this....but if it was in the book there is nothing we can do.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:32 PM

My buddy killed good deer here opening morning and he said they put a good hole there. I am really surprised at this. Ask game warden friend here and he said there fine with him.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:32 PM

The PA Game commission absolutely has to make and enforce these rules. It' s called job security. What a joke they are.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:50 PM

This doesn' t affect my broadhead of choice but what a joke that the PGC announces this 3 days before the season.

What about the hunters who don' t follow these boards or look at the PGC website? There may be some fines if the PGC actually looks at the broadheads in some people' s quiver.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:09 PM

The PA Game commission absolutely has to make and enforce these rules
The definition wasn' t defined by the PGC but by a panel of archers last year who went through the equipment definitions and fine tuned them to avoid intrusions by devices that move archery further away from its traditional definition. The definitions were then forwarded to the PGC and implemented after approval.

Quick Reply: Crimson Talons ILLEGAL in PA!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.