Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My 2003 Buck - Story and Pic >

My 2003 Buck - Story and Pic

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My 2003 Buck - Story and Pic

Old 10-01-2003, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My 2003 Buck - Story and Pic

Harvested 9/8/03
Woodford County, Kentucky
Green scored (rough) 171 PY
Bowtech BK2, Carbon Exp 300 w/ Wasp Jackhammer SST 100gr
12 Yards
ONE HAPPY HUNTER!!

Here is the story. I was on my way to a meeting on Sunday night 9/7/03 when I saw him grazing in my yard. I had seen him on a couple of occassions taking the same path off my farm, so I had a pretty good idea of his travel behavior. A few weeks ago, he was in full velvet and I had hoped to catch a close glimpse of him opening morning. I did not, so I was anticipating not hunting again, due to other obligation until the last weekend of September. But when I saw this deer in the same place, I couldn' t get him out of my head. Monday rolled around, 9/8/03, and all day I kept thinking of how to sneak out and position myself to take a shot at him. I manage to free myself from work and made it out to the farm around 4:15PM. I hurried to get dressed, showered, etc. It was around 80 degrees and you can see I was in full camo. I started sweating the moment I got to the stand around 4:40PM. 30 or so minutes rolled by, a couple of does wandered in and positioned themselves behind me. They could sense me and began acting nervous, but never spotted me or spooked. I didn' t like them being there, but I was stuck. I looked up and he starts strolling in around 5:15PM. We walks to within 35 yards facing my stand, not presenting a shot and just stops. He too was nervous. He stood at attention, monitoring the woods. I was so nervous. Here is the largest deer I' ve ever been this close to and he was about to spook. Normally, I take a little more time in prepping and it' s usually cooler, but I was so eager to get in place for him. Here I am, frozen, barely breathing and watching this monster deer. For about 15 minutes he didn' t move. He slowly turned away from me and starting moving out, away from my stand. At this point, I' m thinking this is how he got so big, then he stops again. The does had settled down and a couple of small bucks were roaming around. He was behind a downed tree and there was clearly no shot. The only hope was a clearing approximately 30 yard that he might move into, if he didn' t I would have no shot. Time passed on, I calmed downed, which was a good thing. I kept slowly checking to see if he was still there and sure enough he hadn' t moved. Just when I was about loose hope, another large buck moved into the area. I didn' t know how this would help. The new buck was coming right for my stand and if he got wind of me would spook everything out, including my buck. Just like the first, he got to within 40 yards and stopped. But instead of staying put, turned and bolted over the fence line and across an open field. This could not be good. I knew that when deer spooked, the tendancy is to follow the fleeing deer. And sure enough my buck moved towards the fleeing buck, but slowly. If he keeps coming he will walk within 15 yards of me. I said a little prayer, slowly swung my bow around to the right side of the tree and waited. Just as I had hoped, we walked by, I drew, grunted and arrowed him at a steep angle. He fell directly down, didn' t move two feet. It never gets old. No matter how long we practice, or hours we spend in the woods or even if we are lucky enough to see deer everyday, it never deprives us of the thrill and rush of a well laid out hunt, even a short intense one. As he laid there, I arrowed him again to put him out and tried to calm myself. I had set my sights on this deer and had hoped to take him before gun season. I was lucky enough to do so.

Hope I didn' t ramble. Still pumped up from the experience. Anyhow, that' s the story. Hope you have as much excitement and luck as I did.

Kelly

Old 10-01-2003, 12:31 PM

Default RE: My 2003 Buck - Story and Pic

Gorgeous buck - congratulations !

kentucky is still a sleeper state to a lot of people when it comes to big bucks.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:36 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Ramble, I was looking for more!! Great story and a great deer. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Beautiful animal... congrats!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2003, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

kcison......what a story! I love it when a plan comes together. Congrats on a fine hunt and very beautiful buck. That' s a deer of a lifetime right there. Cute little boy too. Way to go!!
Old 10-01-2003, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for sharing a great hunt with us.
What a awesome buck wow
Old 10-01-2003, 12:46 PM

Did you hear my jaw hit the floor ???
Awesome !!!!!! Congrat' s on a beautiful deer !!!
Old 10-01-2003, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW! Awesome story and AMAING BUCK!
Old 10-01-2003, 12:57 PM

That is one great buck and a nice story to boot! Good job bro!
Old 10-01-2003, 12:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ramble? Man you have a right to, great story and what a fantastic buck. Your right, it' s extra special when you hunt a particular animal. Way to go, he' s a dandy. []

Quick Reply: My 2003 Buck - Story and Pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.