Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow shot deer

Old 12-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Were you sure it was lung blood? Ive never had a deer run very far with a good lung shot...Did the arrow pass through?

Like others said it happens...even with rifles...do your best to find it is all you can do. Nature will take care of it...one way or the other...
Old 12-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Spike

That is why yotes have a $50 bounty on their head in my area. Some guys I know take their.223's and hunt the yotes for a payday.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to be quite honest with you because I've "been there and done that". Sometimes we see what we want to see, meaning a good double lung shot when it isn't so. A double lung shot deer does and cannot travel a mile. 200 yards? Maybe, but the norm is about 100 yards or less.

Coyotes? I've been fortunate enough to never lost a deer to them so won't comment on it.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BGfisher View Post
I'm going to be quite honest with you because I've "been there and done that". Sometimes we see what we want to see, meaning a good double lung shot when it isn't so. A double lung shot deer does and cannot travel a mile. 200 yards? Maybe, but the norm is about 100 yards or less.

Coyotes? I've been fortunate enough to never lost a deer to them so won't comment on it.
yep...the heart/lung shot deer fell in under 60yds from where they got hit...now I did have a doe that only punctured one lung and she ran a good ways...maybe close to 1/2 mile and she didn't lose any major blood...she basically bled out internally.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

That could have happened, don't know and won't unless I find him. I am still looking. There is a lot of possibilities and I know I feel bad for possibly injuring him if he didn't die.
I am trying to find him with every free moment.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive seen a single lung shot live 24 hours and still have to be shot again but he still didn't go far. He laid down at about 300 yards and stayed there. Ive also had perfect double lungs with no blood but ive never had one go very far at all.

Ive never had it happen but I'd guess its possible to hit a lung and still go a mile if being pushed. (not a chanced with a double lung though)

Last edited by rockport; 12-03-2013 at 05:47 PM.