Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Columbia mo

Old 10-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Spike

Default Columbia mo

Does anyone on here live in central mo? More specifically around columbia. I go to school up here and don't get to go home to hunt as much as I'd like and was wondering if anyone knew of any decent places to bowhunt up here with low pressure.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

look at some public land. public land in missouri isnt too pressured during bowseason, but you couldnt pay me to walk through a patch of public land during rifle season.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by luster
Does anyone on here live in central mo? More specifically around columbia. I go to school up here and don't get to go home to hunt as much as I'd like and was wondering if anyone knew of any decent places to bowhunt up here with low pressure.
luster - check out Davisdale Conservation Area, very close to Columbia. They have a youth draw hunt coming up, but other than that you should be good until rifle season starts. I was just up there a couple weeks ago and saw deer every sit. About 20 turkeys as well.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:30 AM
Spike

Thanks guys. I am going to try and check davisdale out. Would anyone happen to know if I can kill another buck with my bow before gun season with regular tags? I killed one last weekend back home with farm tags and I'm not very familiar with the regulations regarding using farm tags and regular tags or if it's even possible.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regs for normal tags are 1 buck before Rifle season, but not sure how farm (land-owner?) tags would affect that without searching the MO website.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:24 AM
Spike

In Missouri you can only harvest 1 antlered buck in the first half of bow season total. Doesn't matter if you have farm tags or not.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ArtyJoe
In Missouri you can only harvest 1 antlered buck in the first half of bow season total. Doesn't matter if you have farm tags or not.
From the MO website:

May fill a Landowner Any-Deer Permit and a purchased
any-deer permit.

However, each hunter may only take
one antlered deer during the firearms deer hunting

season.

Therefore, landowners and lessees who take an
antlered deer on one Any-Deer Permit must take an antlerless

deer on the other Any-Deer Permit.

Note:
Deer taken on a Managed Deer Hunting Permit or in accordance with

the archery deer hunting season do not count toward this

one-antlered–deer limit.

Last edited by wallhangr; 10-24-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by luster
Would anyone happen to know if I can kill another buck with my bow before gun season with regular tags? I killed one last weekend.
If you already harvested an antlered buck in Missouri the answer is no, unless it is a button buck. Sorry, I missed the part where the first buck was from a managed hunt.

Last edited by ArtyJoe; 10-24-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

They are correct in stating you can only take 1 buck with a bow prior to rifle season, doesn't matter if it was a farm tag or not.

But, there are many conservation areas around columbia, or within a short 30-60 minute drive. A lot of areas along the river have excellent deer populations. I'm not sure on pressure as I have only been on some of them during the ML portion, and haven't done that in a few years. Even if you can't kill a buck, it would be a great time to scout/doe hunt the areas to determine where the groceries are so you will know where to focus after the rut.

Take a look at the Conservation website and find areas. Here is the link to the areas.
http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/applications/...st&txtAreaNm=s

If you look around there is a link to download the KMZ file for Google Earth that has the maps of the areas.

Good luck.