Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Short draw shooters >

Short draw shooters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Short draw shooters

Old 10-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Short draw shooters

Frustrated from the lack of knowledge most pro shops seem to have about short draw archery. I shoot 26" . Last night I went to a popular pro shop and these guys know how to set up a bow for an average shooter but don't seem to know how stuff actually works. They just know what they have done over and over on average 28-29 inch bows. After he refused to believe me that the IBO specs on my Bowtech equalizer were 304-308 fps at 60 lbs and 27.5 inches(he continued to tell me and he still believes the specs are for a 30" 70lb equalizer) Then on to peep sights. He insist that my peep is the right size for my sight and its just not. Its the right size for his 29 inch draw but when you move the peep and sight 3 inches closer things change...Shouldn't a "pro" know this?

Anyway I thought it might be beneficial for us short draw folks to share some tips and what not.

The peep for example is one of the few advantages of a short draw......we can use a bigger peep because our peep and sight are closer together.

Am I the only one that has trouble finding quality assistance with an odd draw? I assume the same thing likely applies to those who are above the average as well.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

IBO is under ideal conditions...and a certain draw length...an actual chrono of your arrow will be under 300fps...a bow "pro" should fit the bow to you not his experience or draw length. If its not right to you change it to what is. Sometimes its best to find a different bow tech...
Old 10-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
IBO is under ideal conditions...and a certain draw length...an actual chrono of your arrow will be under 300fps...a bow "pro" should fit the bow to you not his experience or draw length. If its not right to you change it to what is. Sometimes its best to find a different bow tech...

I understand how IBO works. That doesn't change that he is wrong.

The context is he is using IBO to tell me the carbon night is 35 fps faster than my equalizer and that is simply not true. The carbon knight is "tested" at 30" 70lbs at 335fps while the equalizer is "tested" at 27.5" 60lbs at 308 fps because its a specific short draw bow and that is ideal conditions an equalizer with 70lb limbs and a 30
"draw is an Allegiance and has an IBO of 335 fps.......that means on paper the carbon knight with all equal (60 lbs and 26" draw 340 grain arrow) is going to be similar or slower than my equalizer not 35 fps faster.

roughly
335 - 4" of draw = 295 fps -- at 70 lbs
308 - 1.5" of draw = 293 Fps -- at 60 lbs

If I took this guys word I'd have $600 less, be shooting slower and having more hand shock with less brace height and a peep sight that is too small.

I'm having trouble finding an actual "pro" in my area.

There are lots of things I don't know but its hard to trust a tech when he is wrong about the things I do know.

Last edited by rockport; 10-23-2013 at 12:01 PM.