Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

There I was....

Old 09-29-2003, 09:33 AM

Default There I was....

Sitting in my blind before sunrise waiting for what I hoped would be good hunt. As the sky began to grow light, I heard them...approaching from the North....COWS!!! The cattle that graze on our lease picked my hunting area to raid this morning.
Disappointed that my hunt would be ruined this morning I sat there for about thirty more minutes to see what would happen. Sure enough, the cows settled in to graze the field adjacent to my blind. No deer would come my way for sure.
I decided to get up and walk around a bit to see what I could. I remembered a new feeder had been placed about 400 yards East of my location and it sits adjacent to an old creekbed. I headed that way quietly in hopes of sneaking up on one of the bucks I have seen on the lease in the prior weeks.
I creep my way though a small trail and reach an opening in the woods about 75 yards downwind of the feeder...and there they are. A young doe and a 6 point youngster. They see me and we all freeze. After a bit, they start to lose interest and I slowly backed into the woods. I nock an arrow and head further away from the feeder and creep back towards the open field hoping to see exactly how many deer are in the area and set up for a possible shot, should they continue to move this way.
As I reach the opening I see what I was hoping for...a nice, heavy 8 point that I had seen 2 weeks ago. The 6 point and doe were with him and slowly moving my way. They walked behind a large Cedar tree and I decided to move up while the tree was between me and them. I made it to the tree and set up for a shot once the buck moved past the tree. As I waited a heard a noise behind me and I turn my head to look....A very young doe was sticking her head around a branch and looking right at me[X(]
Well, sure enough, the " little sister" went and told on me and the gig was up. They all took off up the hill, laughing the whole way.
I leaned a few lessons that day, along with some humility. A good trip!!
Hope I have as much fun next weekend!

Good hunting everyone!

Dave
Old 09-29-2003, 09:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: There I was....

Sounds like a great day, no deer in the freezer, but lessons learned.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know that feeling of being busted by the little sisters. Had that happen too many times with caribou to even remember. I' ve set up an ambush on a herd of 100 bulls with 5 or 6 cows mixed in, and those cows always are the most alert, and will move around alot more. That' s a frustrating feeling when you think it is all about to come together, then that happens.

Gotta love it though, it' s all part of the hunt!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hope I have as much fun next weekend!
That' s what it' s all about.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:49 PM

sounded like fun sneaking up on them until they ran away