Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Please Help with My Son >

Please Help with My Son

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Please Help with My Son

Old 09-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Spike

Default Please Help with My Son

We purchased a 40# bow for my son. We told him that if he would practice diligently that he could go deer hunting.

I have explained to him that he needed at least 3 solid hours per week for several months straight to be able to go into the field and harvest a deer.

May we have some help here? He is 13. He doesn't want to a "lecture" from dad.

He sees the TV shows, and thinks that is all here is to it.

So bow hunters, what standards do you have for yourselves? How many hours of practice before you count yourself "ready?" Is 3 hrs per week (30 min x 6 days) for 6 months straight enough?

What feats of accuracy should a bow hunter be able to accomplish before going in the field to harvest a deer? I had a friend in high school that wouldn't go unless he practiced to the point that he could hit a tennis ball at 40 yards with consistency.

The more replies, the better!

Last edited by rlmx; 09-26-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

My son has been shooting a bow since he was really little but hunting with a crossbow until he was ready. He was already putting 3 out of 3 shots in a 3 inch bull at 20 yards and that was my standard for him. The goal I set for him was to be able to get his bow up to the state minimum and shoot consistently at that draw weight. I originally said 40lbs, the state required 35lbs. His current bow maxed out at 38lbs and we said good enough. He hit that milestone at 10 years old and we went out hunting. I would only let him take 20 yard broadside shots.

He didn't get a whitetail to pose for him this year and he ended up taking a spike with his crossbow. After the season was over, I took him on an exotic ram hunt and he christened his compound. He got his ram, but I wasn't that impressed with the penetration. I'm hoping to get him into 45lbs before his next hunt.

To be fair, he did hit a little forward and got into the shoulder a little bit. The ram still bled out. But the tracking job was harder than it needed to be.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

To answer your question more directly, I wouldn't base it on how many hours a week he practiced. I would just make sure he practiced regularly and I would watch to see how accurately he could shoot.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agree wouldnt put hours on it. Would just put proficiency/ accuracy as the concept. He could get it down in 4 weeks or it could take him longer. To me it may be coming out as not something to enjoy but another chore (From his perspective). Just go out and hang with him and the bulls-eye is the goal. Could even make it interesting offer a $5 for every one he makes.This would give you the time to access whether he is using proper form. If he is using proper form it would help you guide him better on why he isnt making the shot. Is the bow too much for starting to learn the mechanics? Do you test it to make sure it is sighted properly for him.
For me i had an issue shooting my grandfathers rifle growing up. Wasnt nothing to do with the gun after all a gun is a gun. The stock was too long for me, the eye relief wasnt ideal for me it put me too far from the scope, along with the focus since he wore glasses. But having the same build and eyesight as my father we could swap rifles and guns no issue and shoot each others.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me it would be performance based, not hours spent. If he could consistently hit a 6" circle from 10-20 yards from whatever position he will be hunting from we would be in the woods. 20 yards would also be the limit for taking a shot for this year.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

agreed... if he consistently shoots good groups at proper range, he's ready.

less than 24 hours to go here, i feel like a 10 year old kid on christmas morning... if only santa will bring me a buck.

LOL, spell check just said it should be spelled "satan", (if only satan will bring me a buck.) :-0
i think my computer may be possessed... by the way, any of you guys do exorcisms???
Old 09-27-2013, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

My father got into bow hunting when I was 8 yrs old. He decided to bring me into it at the same time. He decided to bring me to a local archery store/club and enrolled himself and I into their archery club. The club gathered once a week and had competitive shoots for the older guys and classes for the younger kids. I will tell you; by the age of 12 I could tell you anything about archery. Maybe not so much on bow hunting, but the art of archery. I harvested my first buck by myself with bow in hand that yr when I was 12.

What I was originally getting at before I headed down memory rd is. Make it a father son bonding experience. Shoot with him, join a club. He will be more apt to want to follow in your footsteps. Good Luck.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't necessarily put a time on how long to shoot per day...just practice till he gets tired or till you see his groupings go from better to worse...then YOU know hes getting tired. if you continue on past the tired stage you can get BAD muscle memory...IMO...so its best to keep it light hearted and aim for the bullseye. Soon as he consistently gets vitals/paper plate to saucer sized groupings or better he should be ready...but just realize he might mess up the first shot due to the old adrenaline rush...also if you have an adjustable bow slowly crank up the tension every couple weeks...a little at a time and that will help build his bow pulling muscles and get him at a higher poundage which is also better for taking an animal...just my thoughts and be safe...good luck!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could even make it interesting offer a $5 for every one he makes.
Or, put those $5 bills in a jar in your gun safe. Tell him, if he gets two in a row, you'll match it. Maybe you'll have a fund for a nice hunt after a year or two?
Old 09-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Spike

When i was younger my old man told me once i hit 10-10 in the area he wanted me to hit then i could go. That made me practice harder and harder. I think its more or less if hes ready mentally too. Take him along with you bow hunting for a year so show him its not always whats seen on shows. Explain to him the Do's and Don't out in the field after a situation. Then when he can explain situations to you then he may be ready. Thats just the way my dad and brother did it for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.