HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Stand or Sit (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/385201-stand-sit.html)

MD DEERHUNTER 09-20-2013 05:38 AM

Stand or Sit

I'm new to bow hunting this year, and I'm wondering if I should be standing or sitting once I'm ready to take the shot. I always hunt from a tree stand and my thinking is if I would try to stand up once the deer comes into my area there will be better chance on spooking the deer and it bolting out of my area. Your thoughts??

olsaltydog 09-20-2013 06:06 AM

Depends on the stand you are using. Some with the setup they have are not friendly to shoot from a seated position. Bars getting in the way also you may find taking a shot going around your tree to be impossible.

You have just as much of a chance spooking the deer picking up the bow and drawing seated as you would slowly standing and drawing. It all comes down to being quiet and trying to go as unnoticed as possible.

Also to note most hunters practice shooting from the ground standing. Adding a tree stand to the mix you should also practice shooting from heights to learn the angles and how your shots are just to get the experience. Adding a seated position would say practice that as well. Me and my old neighbor got 2 trees in our back yard we use to shoot from just to practice.

Wilcam47 09-20-2013 06:49 AM

its all on timing...you can sit there and spook a deer...or you can wait till its behind a tree then stand slowly...it basically boils down to if the deer sees your movement or not...

Legendary Pursuits 09-21-2013 05:51 AM

It depends on the situation and how comfortable you are with the shot. I find myself standing when I see the deer coming in. But those deer that sneak up on you and come out of nowhere. I usually take the shot sitting. I agree with the others practice both and practice alot. Even practice different scenarios and shot angles so that you will be ready for anything mother nature throws at you.

ManofTheFall 09-22-2013 09:37 PM

I have killed a lot of deer and I would guess 98% have been from the seated position. But, it really depends on what is comfortable for you. Plus different shot situations and angles may at times require you to shoot from some awkward positions if you want the deer bad enough. Trust me, this will happen.

Bassdeer 09-24-2013 05:32 AM

I like to stand because that's how I practice. I always stand at first light and last light.

BUCKMARK 09-24-2013 12:43 PM

I find it easier to have good form when standing, I stand 90% of the time anyway when in a tree.

early in 09-24-2013 01:26 PM

I sit 100% of the time. I think it's easier to stay still if you're sitting, especially for long periods. When I see a deer is getting closer to me, I'll stand when I'm sure it's pre-occupied/looking away. I always shoot standing up though.

itsslow98 09-24-2013 08:47 PM

I always stand up because i feel better shooting that way. I have my stands placed in spots that id have to move a lot to be seen.