Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hunters Safety System >

Hunters Safety System

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunters Safety System

Old 09-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Spike

Default Hunters Safety System

Has anyone used the rope style strap to secure yourself to the tree? Im looking some thing a little more convenient when im climbing than the strap that comes with it.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Im using a HSS Line line this year. Has a prussik knot that I can clip into on the ground and slide up as I climb, then I just leave it attached as I sit in the stand. The line is tied about a foot above my head so I can basically move my harness strap above my head or way down low to shoot.

Other than that you can get a simple tree rope with a prussik knot than you can also manually move up and down the tree itself, but I like being hooked up while climber. Especially with sketchy lock-on ladder sticks.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought the HHS adjustable strap that loops on to the tree and is adjustable. It has a prussik knot so its adjustable to all sizes of tree. The problem is the excess rope is a little long and hangs down a few feet. I think I'm going to pick up about 8 feet of Climbing rope for repelling and use the carabiner clips that come on the linesmans strap and tie it to those so it is a little easier to hang on the tree.

If you are only hunting a couple stands, I'd get what Ohio Novice is talking about. Then you are secure the whole way up and down the tree. I unfortunately have 25 stands up so I can't put one on all of them. I wish I was able to though.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:11 AM
Spike

I use a prussic knot tree rope that I clip into with a carabiner on my harness. I like this system the best. Like the others said you can buy some climbing rope and make your own for whatever length you prefer.

On most of my stands I have enough rope to go around the tree and 10-12 feet of extra hanging down this puts the end of the rope about 4-5 below the bottom of my stands platform. So I usually climb up the tree then clip in before climbing into the stand, but you can easily leave the rope like 25 ft to so you can clip in on the ground if you want.