Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bowhunters Opinion >

Bowhunters Opinion

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunters Opinion

Old 08-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it makes a person lazy so long as you aren't trying to range a deer when you are about ready to draw on it lol...they should be used to help not to totally depend on...practicing your shooting is more beneficial than worrying about your range finder...lol
Old 08-30-2013, 01:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Once a group accepts...

a tool as absolutely necessary, how does one disagree with the use of the tool.
The only point I see, is many hunters just have to spend more money to enjoy their sport.

Out walking, I sometimes practice my 20 yard, 40 yard, 50 yard, 100 yard eyeball distance ranging. That seems as revolutionary today as going out for pre-season hikes.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
There has never been an animal killed, with archery equipment or otherwise, without the use of a laser rangefinder...

Oh wait, I forgot...

:happy 0157:: happy0157:

It's a luxury, and it tends to make guys lazy, neglecting to practice 'eyeballing' ranges without the use of a rangefinder.

It's a great tool, and if used properly, VERY effective. But I hunted before they were available, and I wouldn't stay home if I didn't have one.

To some of the other poster's points, even before I had a rangefinder, I used to use a 100ft tape measure to mark out different landmarks in my hunting areas. That's the most effective technique I've ever used for 'in-hunt accuracy'. Know the field before the game is there, then you don't need the equipment, and won't have doubts in your shot.
I dont think they tend to make guys lazy what so ever. I range all around me while sitting in the stand. I range trees,stumps, differnt things. I run senarios in my head thinking where deer travel and make sure to know the domiant funnels and trails.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:24 AM
Spike

i have but only use it to mark trees around me with distances. I never take it with me to the stand.

But im also a golfer and while playing college golf, in tournaments you cant use them so you better be good at eyeing distances.