Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Spike

Default Newbie

Ok, this is my first time that i am really looking at a bow.

I have always wanted one but i was never able to buy one.

So, what I need is help.

Funds are a limited a bit so im looking at about 500, i know that bows

are not cheap. I would like to get a bow for hunting purposes. That's

my main reason for getting one.

If you guys could point me in the right direction for let me know what

to avoid, i would greatly appreciate it very much.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Spike

Most of the bows on the market are good. In the $500 range I would look at the mission line of bows by Mathews. I have one and think they are a great bow in your price range. Find a dealer and handle & shoot several different bows. Go with whatever one fits you the best. If you want to buy used check out the archery classifieds on this forum there are several bows listed in there right now including a Mathews I have for sale.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Spike

I would agree with badlands, go and try a few out. I bought mine online, and although I did a bunch of research and like my bow, I think I probably could have found one that fit me better and was set up better if I spent the extra money to buy it at an actual bow shop. Or you could always go try a bunch and then search for and buy the one you like online, but I would say its important to shoot a few bows so you can get a good idea what your draw length, draw weight, and other things that fit you specifically. As far as what bow to get specifically everyone has different preferences, but PSE seems to make good bows for a reasonable price, but Mathews are really nice too.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I may get slammed for this, but I got an email from Bass Pro today with a link to an article about choosing a compound bow for beginners. For the most part, I agree with everything in the article (I was a bit surprised.) There is more to it, but it has the basics covered. I'll just add that nobody can tell you what the best bow is for you, except you. Shoot a bunch of them and pick what feels best. Here's a link to the article I was talking about http://www.basspro1source.com/index....=NspDwE&om_mid=
Old 08-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Spike

Yeah, when I bought my bow I found an excellent site that broke down what all the terminology meant, all the little things to know about buying and owning a bow. My regret was not actually shooting one first to know what my comfortable draw weight and actual draw length was. All the numbers online are guestimates, which can't compare to how an actual particular bow feels in your hands. Places like bass pro and cabelas are great because you can try a lot of different bows to see which one you like. Just don't go on a weekend when there's a hundred other people wanting to shoot too...
Old 08-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

As most said, go out to your local outfitter or dealership like Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc. Then try a couple of bows out. look for one that is comfortable with you and has a smooth draw. If the place you go to has a range test the bow out and get everything adjusted for you. Bowhunting and archery in general is extremely fun and I wish you the best of luck.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buy used. I bought a cheap bow for my first, a little more expensive for the second and by the third and expensive bow knew what I wanted and why I wanted it.

What I didn't know I learned, like bows in a shop people try out for feel are just put together, not tuned properly so going by feel really doesn't work, you could be shooting a very good bow but because of the way it was put together it vibrates and is loud. If you know what you want and can take the bow and make it right buy it barring some defect, you'll have what feels best to you.

My brother and I shot the same bow, he took his in for work and I do my own. He recently passed and I inherited his bow, the 2 are night and day, mine is extremely smooth fast and quiet, his is fast but a bear to pull and loud on the shot, I'm working on it.

Just buy a cheap (under 100) bow and get to working with it and on it. Took my first deer with mine, still have it, an old old Hoyt I bought for 50 bucks.