Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree stands

Old 07-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Spike

Default Tree stands

Ok so this is going to be my first year bowhunting, and I am thinking about getting a tree stand. I want to know what you guys would suggest. I am thinking about either a hang on or a climber. I am going to be hunting public land and private land. ( I will usually have to take the stand in and out of the woods each day.) I will also be sitting for the most of the day, so it needs to comfortable. I also don't have a ton of money to spend. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

I'd get a muddy hang on/lock on stand with climbing sticks
Old 07-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

If you have to take it down every day go with a climber. You have to find the right tree to climb, but you don't have to deal with hanging sticks and the stand every day.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:51 PM
Spike

Yeah the only thing about a climber is there cant be many branches and the tree has to be straight. I have to do a bit more scouting to make sure that there are enough decent trees.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jakeman3327 View Post
Yeah the only thing about a climber is there cant be many branches and the tree has to be straight. I have to do a bit more scouting to make sure that there are enough decent trees.
Thats what I do. I scout out a good spot and use reflective tacks to mark my trees.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Spike

Do you have any recommendations?
Old 07-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

There are more climber accessible trees in the woods than u might think. I can honestly say that there are very few instances that I cannot hunt from a climber due to a lack of climbable trees.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:21 AM
Spike

I personally prefer a light hang on stand and 3 sections of the hang on climbing sticks. Lone wolf is what I recomend.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

I use a climber, I've never not hunted because I couldn't find a tree, but there are times I haven't been able to find a tree to hunt the set up I wanted to. In my opinion, if you don't have to move the stand during season, you can't beat the comfort of a ladder stand.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:38 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jakeman3327 View Post
Ok so this is going to be my first year bowhunting, and I am thinking about getting a tree stand. I want to know what you guys would suggest. I am thinking about either a hang on or a climber. I am going to be hunting public land and private land. ( I will usually have to take the stand in and out of the woods each day.) I will also be sitting for the most of the day, so it needs to comfortable. I also don't have a ton of money to spend. Thanks in advance for any input.
I started with a summit viper (climber) and still use the summit brand. Any other brand seems wierd because I am so used to the summit. I tried a lone wolf stand and ended up taking it back, it just didn't feel right. Climbers are very nice now days and some are pretty lightweight.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service